Moving of Operating units from one ledger to other

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
Shashi_k

Moving of Operating units from one ledger to other

Post by Shashi_k »

Hi,

I have scenario where in Business want to move operating unit from one ledger to other,
Detail description
Oracle Version 12.0.6
we have two ledgers namely Domestic and International both have the same COA and calender and same currency (USD).
Requirement is to move the operating units from International Ledger to Domestic Ledger.
My question is what will be the impact of the moving the operating units from one ledger to other ledger.
what are the impacts on the subledgers, General Ledgers, Banks and how the Legal entity will work etc ....
what are the precautions one need to take for moving operating unit from one ledger to another.

Regards,
Shashi.
tgs100

Post by tgs100 »

I don't think you can move operating units from one ledger to another in R12. You should create a new operating unit in the new ledger (in your case, domestic) and inactivate the old operating unit. You should be bring the open transactions from the old OU to new OU.

Cheers,
Saravanan TG
Shashi_k

Post by Shashi_k »

Hi Saravanan,

Thanks for your reply, I believe we can move a OU from one ledger to another by changing the profile option GL Ledger . Before doing this transfer all the Journals to the GL (international) and then change the Profile option. This is what I was thinking of the solution.

Regards,
Shashi.
admin

Post by admin »

Even I don't think that you can do it from front end. tks
SIVAKUMAR_G

Post by SIVAKUMAR_G »

Hi

You cannot change OU just with one step of changing the Profile option by posting all the Journals in old ledger

Just try to change the profile option and test it out in Vision Instance or Test Instance. The application will throw error in every screen

Each Application internally also referenced to the Ledger and stores with Ledger id.

There are two choices. Either

a) You create new OU and migrate only open transactions and make the old transactions only view only responsibility

b) Second option is to migrate all historcial transactions to the new OU Created.

But you should check the Legal requirements also before making the changes of moving this OU from International to Domestic Ledger.

Hence suggested method is only go with option (a) as on the cut off date

Hope this helps

Regards
Sivakumar
tgs100

Post by tgs100 »

As Sivakumar rightly said, most of the transactions are stored with org_id (operating unit) and ledger id.

Changing the profile option is of no use!!!.

Cheers,
Saravanan TG
Shashi_k

Post by Shashi_k »

Hi Shiva and Saravanan,

Thanks for your reply,

Firstly I want to close all the open transactions and post them in the International Ledger (Old Ledger), now what ever the data I have is History.

Second step , Chnage the profile option 'GL Ledger' to the Domestic Ledger. Now what ever the new transactions I am creating in the subledgers will be routed to New Ledger.

If in case I want to see the old transactions I should be still able to see that, with the help of Data Access Set and MOAC which gives access to multi ledgers and multi operating units.

Any way I have to try this in the instance. I will post you once I am done with the replication of the issue.

Please let me know if you guys have any other thoughts on the impacts.

Regards,
Shashi.
tgs100

Post by tgs100 »

1. Will you able to close all the open transactions in the old ledger? If there are AP invoices for which payment is not done or AR invoices for which payment is not received, then how the transactions can be closed in the old ledger? Though it is technically possible, I am not sure whether it is practically possible. You can take a call as you know the situations better than us.

2. In any case, you should create a new OU and then attach it with the new ledger. Then you can use MOAC to access both the OUs and use data access set to access both the ledgers.

Cheers,
Saravanan TG
AmanKhan

Post by AmanKhan »

HI Shashi.,

It is very interesting topic, it is really difficult to achieve the objective with only changing the profile option.

Any update or progress on the issue. I believe, u have done with this issue.

Regards,