Need help to backup

In this forum Oracle Applications DBA's, System Administrators & Developers can share their knowledge/issues.
amirtai

Post by amirtai »

Hi Lukman

If you can open your database. It's look like your password file is missing or corrupt to authenticate the APPS user. Find password file on your production database and copy it to TEST.

The default location for the password file is:

$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapw$ORACLE_SID on Unix and %ORACLE_HOME%\database\PWD%ORACLE_SID%.ora on Windows

After copying password file you can shot this query to check users.

SQL>select * from v$pwfile_users;

USERNAME SYSDB SYSOP
------------------------------ -------- -------

Keep it up... you gonna safely land now...
lukman

Post by lukman »

1. this is a single node

2. How do I check it? I can't even enter sqlplus.

3. No, I didn't change the host name

4. That's what I'm doing from 2 pm yesterday and it still running now.

5. Can't do it because not finished in db tier.

Thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

Pl stop that process and first open the database and try to connect as first we need to resolve any db connectivity issues if any. thanks
lukman

Post by lukman »

dear amirtai, I don't have any production database. What I installed is just a single node vision database.

dear admin, looks like I'm being dumb by the hardware. I already tried the autoconfig process before you wrote it and in my fear to damage the installation I'd waited 18 hours for the autoconfig process. I tried to restart the machine and restart the autoconfig process again and voila ... it took only a couple minutes to finish the autoconfig process both in db and apps tier. then I down the database, up it again and the apps. tried to connect and login and success. hhhhh ...
what do you mean by : " If there is temp datafile error then you should create it manually as rman will not take backup of a large temp file". I only write that there's a single file that not present in the recovery process and that file is temp1.dbf. Maybe the backup process didn't include that file? Maybe I should try the backup and recovery process once more to see whether that file included or not.

that's caused me to think, why don't we just copy all the files in /<SID>data, put it in another disk for safety and copy it again if we need to repair the data? Is there anything critical that caused us to use rman? where can I found about the backup detail process? I'd download about backup dan recovery concept and scenario from oracle but I still didn't found it.

thanks.
lukman

Post by lukman »

dear amirtai, I don't have any production database. What I installed is just a single node vision database.

dear admin, looks like I'm being dumb by the hardware. I already tried the autoconfig process before you wrote it and in my fear to damage the installation I'd waited 18 hours for the autoconfig process. I tried to restart the machine and restart the autoconfig process again and voila ... it took only a couple minutes to finish the autoconfig process both in db and apps tier. then I down the database, up it again and the apps. tried to connect and login and success. hhhhh ...
what do you mean by : " If there is temp datafile error then you should create it manually as rman will not take backup of a large temp file". I only write that there's a single file that not present in the recovery process and that file is temp1.dbf. Maybe the backup process didn't include that file? Maybe I should try the backup and recovery process once more to see whether that file included or not.

that's caused me to think, why don't we just copy all the files in /<SID>data, put it in another disk for safety and copy it again if we need to repair the data? Is there anything critical that caused us to use rman? where can I found about the backup detail process? I'd download about backup dan recovery concept and scenario from oracle but I still didn't found it.

thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

First of all congrats that your system is back with lot of learning. Just think that you need to take backup of your database and users are online working on the system so how will you copy the file to other folder as all files are in use? Here rman will come into action..........
krkraju24

Post by krkraju24 »

Dear admin

while going through the steps for BACKUP, i am facing some problems .

1) after i enter sqlplus
it is asking me for username and password.
2) Enter User-name: sys as sysdba
now i got ORA_01031: insufficient privileges error message

i tried to solve this but was unsuccessfull.

so can you plese tell me the steps to resolve this problem.

thanks in Advance

Raju
lukman

Post by lukman »

in works fine for me if I type :

$ sqlplus '/as sysdba'
amirtai

Post by amirtai »

Hi Lukman!

Congrats... finally u did it. [:X] the best tool to check your DB connectivity is "$tnsping <DB SID>" like $tnsping VIS.

Briefly about BACKUP: actually there are 2 types of backup for DB tier. Physical/Cold or Offline Backup and Logical/Online Backup. For Cold backup your database has to be in shutdown state and you just copy paste or use any backup software to copy your files to some other location/media. The advantage is no need to put your DB in ARCHIVELOG mode.

If your DB is 24x7 or you are not able to shutdown your production database, you have 2 solutions.

1- EXP/IMP backup utility. You can take backup USER/ TABLE /TABLESPACE wise. That can be used as COLD BACKUP or HOT BACKUP as well, but for Online Backup the precondition is, you need to put your tablespaces in BACKUP mode one by one. You can use some scritping as well.

SQL> ALTER TABLESPACE user BEGIN BACKUP

after exporting that TABLESPACE you need to issue command
SQL> ALTER TABLESPACE user END BACKUP

2- RMAN utility is used for ONLINE/HOT BACKUP no need to put your tablespace in BACKUP mode but the precondition is DB must be in ARCHIVE LOG mode. There are many options available like for control file AUTOBACKUP every time you issue backup command use DB PLUS ARCHIVELOG so you can get the most recent backup of your transactions going on. To save some space you can use COMPRESSED BACKUP option as well.

Please feel free to shoot any further questions about backup.

Thanks
Amir
admin

Post by admin »

Dear amirtai,
Thanks for such a nice detail. Just to share my point of view about point 1 in which two methods are mixed as imp/exp is separate than the backup with BEGIN BACKUP and you copy the datafiles not export,

"SQL> ALTER TABLESPACE user BEGIN BACKUP
<< Here you will copy not export >>
after exporting that TABLESPACE you need to issue command
SQL> ALTER TABLESPACE user END BACKUP"

Here is a sample query for BEGIN BACKUP for windows. This script is dynamic as any time you can add or remove a tablespace and then you will have to manually update the backup scripts but with this scripts not required to update the backup scripts.

SQL> select 'alter tablespace '||tablespace_name||' begin backup;' || chr(10) ||
2 'host copy '||file_name||' &destination\&dbsid\ >> &temp\hotbackup.log' || chr(10) ||
3 'alter tablespace '||tablespace_name||' end backup;' || chr(10)
4 from dba_data_files;
Enter value for destination: c:\backup
Enter value for dbsid: vis
Enter value for temp: c:\temp
old 2: 'host copy '||file_name||' &destination\&dbsid\ >> &temp\hotbackup.log' || chr(10) ||
new 2: 'host copy '||file_name||' c:\backup\vis\ >> c:\temp\hotbackup.log' || chr(10) ||

'ALTERTABLESPACE'||TABLESPACE_NAME||'BEGINBACKUP;'||CHR(10)||'HOSTCOPY'||FILE_NAME||'C:\BACKUP\\VIS\
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
alter tablespace SYSTEM begin backup;
host copy d:\d01\oracle\proddata\system11.dbf c:\backup\vis\ >> c:\temp\hotbackup.log
alter tablespace SYSTEM end backup;

Please share your comments.

Thanks
amirtai

Post by amirtai »

[:)]Thanks admin for correction. I didn't realize that in typin flow. anyway here is a new easygo. As of 10g instead of putting each tablespace in BACKUP mode we can put eintire database in BACKUP mode.

SQL> ALTER DATABASE BEGIN BACKUP;

As soon as you finish taking all backups.

SQL> ALTER DATABASE END BACKUP;

That's it...n you are good to go.[:X]
lukman

Post by lukman »

Hahahaha, at last my backup and recovery process was successfull. At least that's what I thought

Here what I do. I delete all the file created from previous recovery proses then I started the recovery process again using the same backup data. After that I restarted my machine then start db and apps. Test to connect and voila, it connect smoothly.

Now for the strange part. I compared the recovery files with the original files and the recovery files still didn't contain 1 file:tmp1.dbf. That file is 2 GB large. When I first try to recover what I get was unable to connect to apps and the login window won't show up but this time I'm succeed without any problem. What's the use of that file then??? Maybe I should retry to backup and recovery again to use whether that file exist after that?

Before I started the recovery process I thought I need to use autoconfig script but looks like it's not, am I right? thanks.