Failed to Start OSAgent

In this forum Oracle Applications DBA's, System Administrators & Developers can share their knowledge/issues.
AIMAM

Failed to Start OSAgent

Post by AIMAM »

Hello,

I get the following error when i try to launch discoverer plus page:

Unable to connect to the Oracle Discoverer Application Server - Wide area network connection failed. Failed to connect to locator ****.abc.com_8000OracleDiscoverer Locator4 pointed to by locator.ior file at http://****.com_8000OracleDiscovererLocator4 using OS Agent-Gatekeeper connection failed-Hint: An administrator can further diagnose connection problems by running the "checkdiscoverer" script under <ORACLE_HOME>/806/discwb4/util. Please contact your Oracle Discoverer Administrator

I followed the instructions in the checkdiscoverer.sh output and
I was able to start the osagent by startosagent.sh and it gave me
$ startosagent.sh
/ora/applprod/prodora/8.0.6/vbroker/bin/osagent
Started osagent.
Osagent logs messages to the file /ora/applprod/prodora/8.0.6/discwb4/util/osage
nt.log.

when i run the checkdiscoverer.sh again I get the following:

$ checkdiscoverer.sh
CheckDiscoverer: Version 4.1.48.00 on 3/27/08 9:40 AM

Initializing ORB...
ORB initialized successfully.

Checking for OSAgent...
Error: OSAgent is not running. Discoverer will not function correctly unless the
re is at least one OSAgent running in the subnet.
Hint: Start OSAgent by running startosagent.sh under /ora/applprod/prodora/8.0.6
/discwb4/util.

then i run startosagent.sh and i get the following:

$ startosagent.sh
/ora/applprod/prodora/8.0.6/vbroker/bin/osagent
Osagent is already running.

what the problem might be because and how can i solve it

please advise...
amirtai

Post by amirtai »

Hi there

OSAGENT is a 3rd party product (Borland) that was used by Oracle to coordinate between jobs submitted through CORBA. If one process dies it looks for another in the subnet and does not find tries to start another one.

As a root you need to kill the orphan processes within subnet work and then try restarting. You could run OSAGENT as service that will keep retrying to make it alive.

The other workaround is you can add a process in OPMN that will serve the same purpose.

As of 10g Oracle is no more relying on that 3rd party product and using it's own solutions for ORB jobs . It's better you could go for upgrade ASAP.

Thanks
Amir