Why a batch needed to enter a journal

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
iliasachhab1

Why a batch needed to enter a journal

Post by iliasachhab1 »

Can anybody explain Why a batch needed to enter a journal ? Infact , a journal can be entered without creating a batch (in other accounting packages).But we see that in "Oracle financial " , a batch is a must in order to enter a journal. what is the benefit of creating a batch before journal entry ?
anu_uma

Post by anu_uma »

Hi,
It is not necessary in all the cases to create a batch for entering Journals.

U can enter Journals Directly without a Batch by clicking on New Journal in GL.

Batch is used for identification purpose

Thanks,
admin

Post by admin »

But even if you will create Journal Directly Oracle will assign a batch name automatically in GL. This is because Oracle posting is batch wise. thanks
iliasachhab1

Post by iliasachhab1 »

Thanks for the reply ! I am new to financial and appreciate the help available in this forum.

Yes, I know that if we do not create a batch and directly start creating journal, then oracle will internally assign a batch number.But the big question is why is oracle financial doing this extra work of creating batches ? why not oracle manages with only two tables "Gl_header" & "Gl_lines " ? why does oracle bring another table"gl_batches" into work ? How a does a batch helps identifying journal ? I may be asking a very basic question .Can anybody clarify this to me ?
admin

Post by admin »

It helps to group transactions like if a user is entering journals all the day so better to group those into one as you will get a control total and for verification/reconciliation it will help. So for this you need to have table of batches. thanks
karthikeyanp1981

Post by karthikeyanp1981 »

i can give you a scnenario :
Assume there are 10 end users whose only job is to enter journals and posting will be done by thier supervisors . To have a better control on each and every person, we can create 10 Journal batches and ask each one to enter thier journals in thier respective batches, so that they can be held responsible for any errors in latter state ! It will provide a better control.
muthyala

Post by muthyala »

U can enter the batch journals it will reduce the size. If u enters with out journals Batch it will take more space

Ex:
We are entering the 24 journal without Journals Batch it will take 24+24
But if enter journal Batch it will Take 24+1 (1 Batch)

Rgds
Muthyala