Make changes to the data transferred from AR to GL

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
abbas9001

Make changes to the data transferred from AR to GL

Post by abbas9001 »

Hello Team,

The information has be transferred from AR to GL successfully, now I have to make some changes to the data.
How can i make the changes to the data which is in GL now.

Regards,
Abbas
abhgaur@gmail.com

Post by abhgaur@gmail.com »

1) What changes you made to data ?
2) Incase if there is some changes w.r.t adjustment then transfer the entries again from AR to GL and adjusment accounting details will get transferred to GL

Thanks
abbas9001

Post by abbas9001 »

i need to change the GL date
SIVAKUMAR_G

Post by SIVAKUMAR_G »

Hi

You cannot make any changes to the data transferred from Subledger to GL. If you do so it will have implications in drilling down to sub ledger from GL.

a) The workaround could be to reverse the Journal in GL and again Reverse the reversed Journal with a new effective GL Date.

or the option is to update the GL date in both Subledger and in GL from backend database which is not a supported and advisable method.

Regards
Sivakumar

b)
abbas9001

Post by abbas9001 »

Hello Siva,

I have understood the point of reversing a journal
The workaround could be to reverse the Journal in GL

But I could not understand this "again Reverse the reversed Journal with a new effective GL Date"
Coud you please clarify the second point.

Thankyou
Abbas
shaikjohnpasha

Post by shaikjohnpasha »

when you reverse first time,the original entry would get nullified.to have the effect of that original entry with correct gl date,again reverse the reversed journal.
Hope you got it.

Thanks and Regards,
John Pasha Shaik
abhgaur@gmail.com

Post by abhgaur@gmail.com »

1) I don't think reversing journal that got transfered to GL from AR is a good idea . This way gradually you would loose audit information.
Eg-
Joun A -- This can lead to Drill in AR
you reveresed A
Again Reverse (Revseral of A)

Now ..after some time when you would see Joun A ... your auditor would think this got reversed and it would take pretty long time to find the entire path.

2) The question you have raised is a valid point but i think these types of cases should be handled through business processes instead of doing changes to data .
Eg-

Joun A ... In Period Feb .... Got Transfered in Feb
Now , your user has entered a wrong GL Date by mistake

Thus ,

If its Application / Adjustment in AR : Then reverse that in AR and accordingly the entry that would have got transferred to GL would get reversed . Also put the correct date in AR then.

If some Invoice has been wrongly entered ... then either put an adjustment to close it and enter a new invoice with the correct date.

If some transactions have been eneterd and you are not able to correct the date ..then create adjustments in GL
Eg-
Joun A ....Got transferred in Feb instead of Jan last date.
Then , in Jan last date create a entry as a provision ..clearly mention in detail as why are doing that giving the reference in transactions in AR ,,,and reverse on the date on which your Journal got posted in AR. This way you would have a proper detail at the same time reco would be easier.

Thanks