distinction b/w item categories and item catalogs

Purchasing & Inventory forum can be used to discuss all features/issues related to Oracle Purchasing & Inventory.
g_suri24

distinction b/w item categories and item catalogs

Post by g_suri24 »

Hi,
i would like to know the main differences between item categories and item catalogs in inventory module in <b>functional point of view</b>.

Please help me out in preparing this document.
it's bit urgent!!!!!!!!!!

thanks & regards,
surender reddy g.
arun1203

Post by arun1203 »

Hi Surender [:)],

Functionally the differences between <b>Item Catalogs </b> and <b>Item Categories </b> can be explained as follows:

For instance let us take <b>Computer</b> and <b>Car</b> are our items in our inventory.
So to enter these items into our inventory, firstly we need to configure our Item Categories Flexfield.

Let us say we have defined two <font color="red"><b>Item Categories </b></font id="red"> which are as follows:

<font color="red"><b>1/Hardware
2/Vehicle</b></font id="red">

Therefore our item Computer falls under Item Category Hardware and
Car falls under Item Category Vehicle.

Now let us say you are buying various computers based on processing speed(like 100 MHZ,120MHZ etc) and cars based on colors(like Red,Black,White etc).

To keep track of these differences within a item you will define <font color="red"><b>Item Catalogs</b></font id="red">.

In our example we need to define two Item Catalogs which are as follows:

1/ Processing Speed
2/Color of the Car

Now you will assign the above Item Catalogs to the respective Items and you will enter the respective descriptive information.

I hope now it is clear to you.

<font color="red"><b>Best Regards[:)],
Arun Reddy,
E-Mail:arunapps@gmail.com</b></font id="red">
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Arun for such a nice explanation. Just will add few worlds,

Categories: Item categories are assigned for categorizing items like for reporting etc.

Catalog: To keep item specifications like you can see a catalog (book) shipped with any item.

Thanks