Cycle counting and Physical count?

Purchasing & Inventory forum can be used to discuss all features/issues related to Oracle Purchasing & Inventory.
mah.rukh

Cycle counting and Physical count?

Post by mah.rukh »

Hi Friends,
I want to know the difference between cycle counting and physical count in inventory?

Thanks
utsavwalia

Post by utsavwalia »

Hi,

When you say physical count are you talking about physical inventory?

Regards,
Utsav.
mah.rukh

Post by mah.rukh »

Yes.
utsavwalia

Post by utsavwalia »

Hi,

Physical inventory is a process of taking couint of all inventory items available. SO lets say you have 100 different items. Everythime you are asked for a physical inventory you are supposed to count and check the quantities of all 100 items.
It is therefore necessary to take a snapshot of the inventory quantities so it can be matched since the inventory transactions will still update the values.

In case of cycle count u r still going to perform a simliar act p=but its periodic and progressive and based on parameters. Again asuume you have 100 items and 5 of these items are calls A items. 10 are class B and 85 are class C items.
You can perform a cycle count for say class A items.You don't need a snapshot since this will a quciker process given the limited number of items.

I hope this has clarified the process. it has for me to some extent. DO let me know if yu have doubts.

Regards,
Utsav.