Chart of Account samples?

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
asuru2000

Post by asuru2000 »

Hi All,

<b>COA-Best Practise :</b>

<b>Segments:</b>
==========

1.Keep each dimension in its own segment e.g Don't combine Department and location into one segment.

2.Avoid having more then one meaning for a segment eg: Don't Store Values for sub-account and product in one segment.

<b>Segment Size:</b>
==============

Plan for growth in the number of values. You cannot expand the size of a segment at a later date.

<b>Value Numbering:</b>
================

Avoid using alpha or special characters in your segment values (both parent and child). These are more difficulate for data entery, it is more difficult to create ranges with non-numberic values.

<b>Segment Order and Default Values;</b>
===================================
Put those segments that have default values or values that do not always have to be entered at the end of account strucuture.

Here are the few COA details which i have come across in my implementations.

Particulars Segement Size
=========== =============== ===

1. Process Mfg Company:

Segement1 Management Code 6
Segement2 Account 9
Segement3 Cost Center 6
Segement4 Base/Variable 1
Segement5 Location 3
Segement6 Product 3
Segement7 Future1 3
Segement8 Future2 4

2.MFG Company

Segment1 Legal Entity 3
Segment2 Management Unit 5
Segment3 Natural Account 6
Segment4 Local Legal 4
Segment5 Function 2
Segment6 Product 4
Segment7 Intercompany 3
Segment8 Future 5

3. Transporatation Company:

Segment1 Company 2
Segment2 Account 6
Segment3 Cost Center 8
Segment4 Product Line 3
Segment5 Product Type 2
Segment6 Contract Type 2
Segment7 Project 7
Segment8 Customer 5
Segment9 Future 3

4. Power Company:

Segment1 Legal Entity 6
Segment2 Account 9
Segment3 Function 3
Segment4 Analytical 1
Segment5 Mgment Entity 6
Segment6 InterCompany 1
Segment7 Local 9
Segment8 Future1 1

5. Service Company:

Segment1 Company 3
Segment2 Division 3
Segment3 Location 3
Segment4 SDO/CC 2
Segment5 Cost Center 2
Segment6 Process/Product 9
Segment7 Account 9
Segment8 Sub Account 6
Segment9 Base 2
Segment10Folder 6
Segment11Future1 3

6. Real Estates:

Segment1 Legal Entity 8
Segment2 Center 11
Segment3 Account 12
Segment4 Analysis 9
Segment5 Future 6

7. Banking:

Segment1 Legal Entity 4
Segment2 Business Unit 6
Segment3 Account 9
Segment4 Product Code 2
Segment5 Rel.Ship Center 3
Segment6 Location 3
Segment7 Intra Group 5
Segment8 Movement 4
Segment9 Currency 3

8. Banking:

Segment1 Legal Entity 8
Segment2 Business Unit 3
Segment3 Cost Center 4
Segment4 Natural Account 12
Segment5 Analysis Code 9
Segment6 Future1 1

Thanks.
Sree
admin

Post by admin »

Hi Members,
Here is the first version of our COA's document. The document password is www.erpstuff.com

Your valuable input is always welcome.

Thanks

The file in at the top of this topic.
manojhari

Post by manojhari »

I could not open the attached file. Here is what we have for a manufacturing company.
Company2
CC 4
Account 6
Location 3
Product 3
Intercompany 2
Future use 3
WE have dropped sub account usage from our previous implementation. Currently implementing R12 from 11i. Sub account might lead to misuse at some point of time and it has its advantages as well. We plan to utilize the Procurement category and assign account such that most of the details are captured in the sub ledger modules rather than in GL. We have seen lot of flexfield scenarios so far in this discussion but how to structure the accounts itself is a big challenge. The structure we have planned is starting with Non plant accounts such as salaries etc and down to admin overheads accounts and then start Plant related accounts such as Maintenance, Contracts etc. Balance sheet accounts are easy part except the Bank accounts. The R12 does not permit to have one Bank account in GL and to track all the Bank accounts in the Cash Management. It was not pleasant news for us. Thus if you are a large corporation then have say 10 bank accounts x 3 accounts (one for clearing, rest - call deposit or fixed etc) and again multiply with number of currecies per bank!!! so many bank accounts (here sub accounts could be helpful) Manoj (Qatar)
Gorann

Post by Gorann »

I have a issue, if any of you has an idea please help me:

One customer needs all his paybles, receivables, revaluations allocated by product and product is one segment of the accounting flexfield.

For example in AP when I enter an invoice, i enter the ITEM line and an account, the tax line (code tax account) and the Supplier account its a parameter of AP that can be setup in module level, vendor o site vendor. But what i need in reports and in the report balance sheet are suppliers by product. I research en little bit, and i found the offset functionality but it doesnt work, because the AP offset open the supplier account in the same way that de Item line and we don
gnreddy

Post by gnreddy »

Hi guys,

Chart of Accounts structure of a property development group company

Segment Name Length
Segment1 Company 5
Segment2 Department 3
Segment3 Line of Business 2
Segment4 Natural Account 6
Segment5 Sub Account 5
Segment6 Project 4
Segment7 Business Usage 2
Segment8 Global Inter Co 4

Business requested to have 10 segments, after several discussions it's reduced to 8 segments .we have explained to business technical problems with many segments. yet we are trying to compress the structure.
gnreddy

Post by gnreddy »

Hi guys,
there is a minor change in segment 6.

Chart of Accounts structure of a property development group company

Segment Name Length
Segment1 Company 5
Segment2 Department 3
Segment3 Line of Business 2
Segment4 Natural Account 6
Segment5 Sub Account 5
Segment6 future use 4
Segment7 Business Usage 2
Segment8 Global Inter Co 4

Business requested to have 10 segments, after several discussions it's reduced to 8 segments .we have explained to business technical problems with many segments. yet we are trying to compress the structure.
danish hameedi

Post by danish hameedi »

Assalam o alay kum

I am danish and I am working in an IT company basically they are integrators we implemented COA with 7 segments.

1-Comany
2-Location
3-Cost Center
4-Line Of Business
5-Account
6-Project
7-TBD (Future)

Thanks & Best Regards

Danish Jameel Hameedi
alruwaished

Post by alruwaished »

I have more the 10 years experience in the account field, I think this way is very difficult to come out with standard chart of account. I think the best way to mention the impact of the designing of COA in the GL activity and anther integrated module and customization in the reporting, display, and user data entry, System Security using COA , yearly COA extended
alruwaished

Post by alruwaished »

This way is very difficult to come out with standard chart of account. I think the best way to maintain the impact of the designing of COA in the GL activity and anther integrated module and customization in the reporting , display, auto. account number generted and easy user data entry, System Security using COA , yearly COA extended and so on
admin

Post by admin »

Hi All,
I think the word Standard COA is confusing and I am 100% agreed that there is no way to have a single COA suitable for everyone. Let me explain my point of view with an example,

I received hundreds of emails appreciating this topic/document. Why?

Because everyone here is not experienced and expert. Many people have to learn but how if they don't have the information how others are doing. Without such information everyone will be reinventing the wheel in his/her own office/room as per existing practice. Let me give an example as well,

When we visit a shoe shop they show us a variety of shoes. But before showing us they ask us the size while color we can select later. The shoes companies know that sizes range is from 3 to 12 and they make different styles between this range. But there is no shoes company who will make a size of 20. So they just play in the range of 3 to 12.

Now what happened with the ERP's in last few years in which there were delays and failures. There was no standard platform where people can discuss and everyone was trying to learn through hit and trial and even was hiding information from others.

If we examine all the COA's provided by many members, you can see there are 6 to 9 segments and everyone is playing with those nothing is new. Now for example if we will have 10 to 15 sample COA's used by different companies then in a new implementation you can discuss the requirements and I am sure one of them will be suitable or with a slight change of order of segments will work. An activity of more than 6 weeks can be squeezed to one week or few days. There are different COA's because people had no standard/best practices in front of them while developing their COA's.

It is better to solve/close 95% of the problem while keeping 5% to discuss and resolve instead 100%.

Thanks
abdusalamm

Post by abdusalamm »

Dear Friends,

Some one told me about this site day before yesterday when i was hunting about EBS free online training.

I am Abdul Salam Master in Economics, CMA Inter (ICMAP), DIT, doing job as Accounts Officer in a Group of National & multinational companies. I've developed more than 7 projects with Microsoft products & now a days doing Oracle DBA.

This is true that if you have clear picture of your system COA then more than 30% job is done otherwise you will modify your whole system again n again.

What i have experienced, COA are different according to business & Size of business. So we know every business have different COA. Thats mean under the business tree we can divide every business COA into four categories:

1- Small Business entities
2- Medium Business entities
3- Large Business entities
4- Very Large Business entities

Note : Small business entity can be divided and others too.

i.e Manufacturing Business can be different in size, so the COA.
misra_akhilesh

Post by misra_akhilesh »

Hi,

I am Akhilesh Mishra, working in leading Consumable Company in India.
Here we are using six segment of COA.

Segment1 - Division - Balancing Segment
Segment2 - Department - Cost Center Segment
Segment3 - Account - Natural Account Segment
Segment4 - Project Code
Segment5 - Product Code
Segment6 - Bank Code

ex- CMN-CMNAT-11010101-0381-RFTMTM-11033031
vijayaraj.bijapure

Post by vijayaraj.bijapure »

Hi
I have downloaded the document for COA and it is asking for the password. could u please furnish it so that i can open it

regds,
Vijayaraj
niletra

Post by niletra »

Hi ALL

I HAVE ONE 6 BUSINESS UNITS. AND I HAVE A 18 TOTAL DEPO.

MY COMPANY IS PROCESS MANUFACTRING.

I WANT TRIAL BALANCE FROM MY EACH DEPO.

CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN ME WHAT DESIGN FOR MY COA.
PLZ GIVE YOUR VALUABLE INPUTS.

THANKS
NILETRA
niletra

Post by niletra »

Hello ,

I Have One Requirtment
we have 6 divisions ok
1.AR
2.PI
3.PO
4.PPC
5.COLORS
6.AG

NOW UNDER EACH DIVISIONS THERE ARE CERTAIN DEPOS

LIKE IN
AG
UNDER AG
DEPOS ARE

1 ASLALI
2 AHMEDABAD
3 UROPE
etc

We plan to define 6 OU OK
GIVE BALANCING SEGMENT to each OU.
but
i want Balance Sheet For each depo wise is it possible without define each depo as OU.

CAN U PLZ GIVE SOME ALTERNATIVE