Using Scanner for inventory

Purchasing & Inventory forum can be used to discuss all features/issues related to Oracle Purchasing & Inventory.
jack@oracle

Using Scanner for inventory

Post by jack@oracle »

Dear all just a thought came to mind that if we use some equipment like scanner for data capturing using bar code might make our everyday process like receiving easy it might also help in physical inventory at the end of the month just a raw thought i dnt weather it is possible please think over it if smone can ad somethng to it ..............

awaiting inputs from all of you...[8)]
reddyjeet

Post by reddyjeet »

[Hi Jack
yes u r true it will help end users alot

quote]Dear all just a thought came to mind that if we use some equipment like scanner for data capturing using bar code might make our everyday process like receiving easy it might also help in physical inventory at the end of the month just a raw thought i dnt weather it is possible please think over it if smone can ad somethng to it ..............

awaiting inputs from all of you...[8)]

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by jack@oracle
jainvi

Post by jainvi »

This feature is currently being used by many companies. I even got the chance to implement it for one of our clients. Lot/Sublot Feature was used to track the items
reddyjeet

Post by reddyjeet »

Hi jainvi
can share more info on u r implimantations where u used it and how...u worked....
it will be more informative to us
jainvi

Post by jainvi »

Hi Reddy,

Each item is lot/sublot tracked. In the barcode sticker, we have captured the lot/sublot no for each item. In lot no, we have captured the W/O no and in sublot no we have captured the box/packet no.

all the Barcode scanners have the functionality of reading the information from the barcode and showing it on the form(wherever the cursor is positioned). This information can be further processed as per your requirement.

For eg: while shipping we are verifing that all the boxes being loaded into the truck are in the packing list. The user scans the sticker on the boxes and populates it into a custom D2k form. We then verify it that the box is available in the list or not, if not a sound is played "Incorrect Box"