R12 ledgers

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
malick

R12 ledgers

Post by malick »

With R12, can we have just a Primary ledger or we have to have both primary and secondary ledgers together during setup?
Please your response will be appreciated.
Malick
fayyaz.tak

Post by fayyaz.tak »

It Depends on your requirements.

Primary Ledger is mandatory for completing the GL setup

Secondary is optional setup for General Ledger depends on the requirements of client and need

Refer to Oracle General Ledger Student Guide for further clarification and difference between the Primary and Secondary Ledgers

if you have not the student guide of GL then go to metalink download the tutor patch of General Ledger R12

Thanks & Regards
Fayyaz Tak
hiszaki

Post by hiszaki »

Hi Malick

Also you can have more than primary ledger if you have more than operation unit. each OU has the primary ledger even all ledger use the same currencies, COA, calender.

It depends on your business.
Thanks
Hisham
malick

Post by malick »

Hi Hisham, Fayaz
Are you guys saying that if I have 2 or 3 OU, I will have 2 or 3 Primary ledgers?
I thought that the first ledger I setup will be my primary and if I have a reporting one that will be my secondary and for my primary I just have to attach the 1 or 2 or 3 OU's depending on the requirement.
Please guide me
hoopsnadar

Post by hoopsnadar »

You do not have to have multiple primary ledgers to address more than one OU as long as you define your balancing segment to represent your OUs.
Your balancing segment values will be your OUs.
malick

Post by malick »

The explanations are very clear and if anybody else has more ideas we will appreciate it and it will serve the whole community.
Thanks
admin

Post by admin »

AmanKhan

Post by AmanKhan »

<b>Accounting setup for Primary, Reporting & Secondary Ledgers</b>

<b>Primary Ledger:</b> A ledger determines the chart of accounts, accounting calendar, currency, subledger accounting method, and ledger processing options for each company, legal entity, or group of companies and legal entities.
Each accounting setup requires a primary ledger that acts as the main record-keeping ledger for none or one or more legal entities that use your main chart of accounts, accounting calendar, subledger accounting method, and currency to record and report on all of your financial transactions.
To maintain an additional accounting representation, use secondary ledgers.
To maintain an additional currency representation, use reporting currencies.

Before creating accounting setups, carefully consider the number of legal entities that you want to assign to each accounting setup or primary ledger.

Associate each accounting setup with one of the following accounting environment types:
? Accounting Setups with One Legal Entity
? Accounting Setups with Multiple Legal Entities
? Accounting Setups with No Legal Entities

These types depends on the business needs and legal entities attributes such as if LEs have similar attributes then u can multiple LEs to accounting setup or primary ledger or vice versa.

You assign specific balancing segment values to each legal entity to help identify legal entities during transaction processing and reporting as these are OUs.

<b>Reporting Ledger:</b>
To report on account balances in multiple currencies, assign reporting currencies to ledgers.
Reporting currencies can only differ by currency from their source ledger and must share the same chart of accounts, accounting calendar/period type combination, subledger accounting method, and ledger processing options as their source ledger.

<b>Secondary ledgers:</b> Represent the primary ledger's accounting data in another accounting representation that differs in one or more of the following ways:
? chart of accounts
? accounting calendar/period type combination
? currency
? subledger accounting method
? ledger processing options

Regards,