Need help to backup

In this forum Oracle Applications DBA's, System Administrators & Developers can share their knowledge/issues.
anu_uma

Post by anu_uma »

[quote]hi anu_numa,

maybe reading pdf's file was boring but because of reading that I can improve my knowledge and skills and I'm grateful for admins who created that pdf.

for me as a newbie, all that file is my first & default help to search then asked people who had better experience than me for some help if I couldn't find in the docs. didn't you get bored sometimes if some newbie asked you the same question over and over again? wouldn't it be easily to create docs like that? it helps us to try first and get better experience too. at least that's for me. now, how about help me to solve my problem? thanks.

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by yudi_lukman
admin

Post by admin »

My request is not to divert from the subject of this topic. You can create a topic in the Suggestions. Thanks
lukman

Post by lukman »

hi anu_numa,

I'm apologize if I wrote something wrong too. At first I thought you don't want to read that pdf docs but now seems like all you want is get an easier help. Well, if there's any do tell me :p

Anyway, admin had stated in his docs that we can give suggestion about his docs to improve it so that newbie, such as me, can easily read it.

dear admin, I'm stuck again :(( Here are what I did first time :

1. Moved all the data files under /visdata to another directory

2. Tried 1st step but cannot start the : $ sqlplus '/as sysdba'

3. Based on backup process, I tried to setup the environment by type :

$ . ./VIS_<host>.env

then I can start the first step. Is it correct?

4. Continue steps until alter database. Got error message :
ORA-01507: database not mounted

5. Restart the system and repeat the process second time, all the same until when I tried to startup mount. There's an error message at the bottom :
ORA-00205:error in identifying controlfile, check alert log for more info.

I didn't continue the next step because error in startup mount? How do I solve it? Thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

Dear you are missing the steps. Please carefully read the slides as well as after mounting in slide I tried to open the database and it gave error that datafile(s) are missing so I logged with rman user to restore them first. The recovered and then opened the database in step 1.3. Thanks
lukman

Post by lukman »

Sorry I don't understand. Correct me if I'm wrong, in step 1.1 you just want to show that we cannot open the database because all the data files are missing, right?

The sys_password in step 1.2 is the password for user sys, right? This is what happened if I continue to step 1.2 and using rman :

$ rman target sys/sys (because my sys user password is sys)

connected to target database: VIS (not mounted)

RMAN> restore database;
RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 03/10/2007 17:19:48
ORA-01507: database not mounted

What wrong now? :(( geez I did so many mistakes just for doing a restore. Luckily this is a test. Wonder what will I face when I try to do a fresh install. Thanks.
lukman

Post by lukman »

Dear admin,

Correct me if I'm wrong. Based on reading some articles I think what you mean by "delete all the data files" is just the "data files", not the control files (mine are cntrl01.dbf, cntrl02.dbf and cntrl03.dbf located under /visdata) and online redo log (which I don't know where's the location and what's the name), am I right? Right now I'm in the middle of restore process after I copy the control files to /visdata. It already took 3.5 hours and still not finished. If I'm right, I think that information should be added in the docs. Thanks.
lukman

Post by lukman »

Ok so I think I had finished all the recovery processes. I found out too that the online redo log files are log1.dbf, log2.dbf and log3.dbf under /visdata. Based on articles I read, Oracle suggest that we create 3 copies of that files and save it in different disks. Now the strange thing was, when I start the apps then I enter using default username and password (operations/welcome) I found that all the favorites and profiles are missing. It's totally empty. Don't know what happened but I'll inform you guys if I found out what's the problem. Any of you know the solution do please tell me. Thanks
amirtai

Post by amirtai »

Hi Lukman

You seem to be littlie bit confused. Nevermind, that's a DBA issue. To restore backup your database should be in atleast MOUNT state.
SQL> STARTUP MOUNT;

O.K if it's not in NOMOUNT state. Now to get it in mount state, 1st I wud find PFILE or INIT.ora file if it's not there. Try to find it on your Production system. If it's not there, create at your production database
and copy it to TEST database same directory.

SQL> CREATE PFILE='/u01/initVIS.ora' FROM SPFILE;

now after correcting the rite DB name and path of your database of TEST SYSTEM. Make sure all datafiles and logfiles are on the rite place mentioned in this INIT file.

SQL> STARTUP PFILE='/u01/initVIS.ora' MOUNT;

If it's mounted successfully then switch to RMAN.

RMAN> RESTORE DATABASE;
RMAN> RECOVER DATABASE;
RMAN> sql 'ALTER DATABASE OPEN';

for the safeside always CONFIGURE autobackup for controlfile, and backup using option DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVE LOG;

Have fun![:o)]
lukman

Post by lukman »

Hello all,

Hi amirtai, thanks for your reply. It helps me to understand more about backup and recovery.

Here's the newest news. After I restarted my machine and use the recover database suddenly I couldn't log in then I searched in Oracle and metalink to find that there's another person had the same problem. From the reply some people suggest to run autoconfig in apps tier and database tier so I followed the suggestion but get another error. I run adautocfg.sh in the apps tier and then in the db tier. It run well in apps tier but error in db tier. After that, even if I use my original database I couldn't login. Did I follow the wrong suggestion? Must I run autoconfig in db tier first? If nothing I can do, I planned to reinstall my vision database and try to backup and restore once more :(( If any of you have suggestion please tell me before I waste a long time to reinstall. Thx.
admin

Post by admin »

Dear yudi_lukman I am really happy that you are facing all these issues because this is the real learning. So don't reinstall and keep trying to recover from this situation. thanks
lukman

Post by lukman »

hahahaha, the moment I read your email I laugh. Good for you if you're happy cause I'm desperate :p

Here're what I do.
I remove the original database to /visdata then I run the adautocfg.sh script located at /viscomn/admin/scripts/VIS_<host>. At first the process complete with error and when I looked at the error log I found out that it cannot connect to the database. Well, trying my luck, I started the database then repeat running the script. After long time waiting the process complete without error. So I tried to started the apps and voila ... I can login again.

So I think, if that success, how about if I tried with my recovery database? Strange is when I compared my original dan recovery database, there is a file (tmp1.dbf) not present in the recovery database but the original database has it. I decided to ignore it first. Shutdown the original database, remove it to another folder and move the recovery database to /visdata, started the recovery database then use the adautocfg.sh script again. After wait for a while, the process finished but still with error and it said cannot connect to the database.

I shutdown the database then restarted my machine then I remove the recovery database and move back the original database. Started the apps but now I cannot login again. So I tried to use adautocfg.sh script again, it already run the process about 2 hours and still haven't complete :((
admin

Post by admin »

If there is temp datafile error then you should create it manually as rman will not take backup of a large temp file. thanks
amirtai

Post by amirtai »

Hi Lukman

Are you able to bring DB up to MOUNT state? Unless your DB is not in MOUNT state you won't be able to restore your datafiles thru RMAN.

If you feel any problem with PFILE or INIT file just let me know.

Keep trying coz every problem teaches you a new lesson.

Thanks
lukman

Post by lukman »

Hi amirtai,

Yes I'm able to bring the database to mount. I choose the easiest way :p, copy the control files and online redo log files to /visdata then mount and started the recovery process.

What I'm trying to resolve now is I cannot login to apps. Now I'm using adautocfg.sh script in /viscomn/admin/scripts to repair. I started the process yesterday around 2:00 pm, now it's 10:33 am and it still running. If this takes too long I think I better reinstall. I just hope it won't happened in production database.
admin

Post by admin »

Pl do not reinstall..............here are the steps and do let us know the output,

1- Let us know is this a single node or multi node?
2- Check the output of the following query,

select node_name,last_update_date, creation_date, host, domain, webhost
from fnd_nodes

3- You changed the host name?
4- Run auto config on db server if single node even you need to start the auto config of db from the following path,

$ORACLE_HOME/appsutil/scripts/SID_HOST/ <change sid and host

5- After running on db now use the following for apps even if single node,

$COMN_TOP/admin/scripts/SID_HOST/

Follow the above steps and let us know.

Thanks