AP - Handling Employees prepayments?

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
myso

AP - Handling Employees prepayments?

Post by myso »

Hi All
our Employees take a prepayment to buy goods from suppliers how can we record that at application
Thanks In Advance
tgs100

Post by tgs100 »

You may follow the below process

1. Create employee as supplier
2. Create prepayment invoice for the employee
3. Make payment
4. As soon as you receive the expense details, enter the expense invoice with supplier name as employee
5. Apply prepayment against this expense invoice
6. If there are any cash refunds, then enter another standard invoice with debit account as cash account and then apply the prepayment. If there are any cheque refunds, then create a standard invoice with debit account as AP-AR clearing account and create a misc receipt in AR

Cheers,
Saravanan
myso

Post by myso »

but we must record the supplier invoice with his name, then how can we apply the prepayment of the employee to the supplier invoice
tgs100

Post by tgs100 »

All invoices (prepayment, expense invoice and refund invoice, if applicable) should be in the employee's name.

Still not clear??

Cheers,
Saravanan
myso

Post by myso »

i understand you very well , but for example if there was withholding tax, how i will clarify that these tax for that supplier not for the employee
tgs100

Post by tgs100 »

Not able to understand your query.

1. When there are hundreds of suppliers and deduct WHT, how do you identify WHT to each supplier? An employee is one of the supplier.
2. It is strange (atleast to me) that you want to have WHT to the employees.

I have used WHT in two scenarios.

1. Deduct a percentage from a vendor and pay to the tax authority
2. Deduct a percentage (or amount) from a vendor and then pay to the same vendor after full work/service is completed (If the company is not fully satisfied with the services of the vendor, company may not pay this deducted amount to the vendor)

Can you post more details of your expectation?

Cheers,
Saravanan
myso

Post by myso »

<i>2. It is strange (at least to me) that you want to have WHT to the employees.</i>
the wht not for the employee but the invoice that he get from the supplier contain wht that what i mean
also

if i record the supplier invoice with the employee name, then
when i revise the supplier balance that invoice would not be included
tgs100

Post by tgs100 »

Is it like you are using the advances given to the employees for NON Petty cash expenses?

If 'No', then WHT or revise supplier balances are absolutely irrelevant. The employee is responsible to settle the amount back to the company. This will be considered as Petty cash expenses.

If yes, can you explain the full process?

1. Why does the company give the advance to the employee instead of giving it to the supplier?
2. If cheque is given, is it in the employee's name or in the supplier's name?

Cheers,
Saravanan
myso

Post by myso »

YES

<i><b>1. Why does the company give the advance to the employee instead of giving it to the supplier?
</b></i>
in some cases an employee take money in advance"responsibility" to make a simple purchasing like library tools(papers and pens) ,then he bring the supplier invoice

<i><b>2. If cheque is given, is it in the employee's name or in the supplier's name?</b></i>
the employee take money in cash from the company treasury
tgs100

Post by tgs100 »

These purchases are called petty cash expenses and hence invoice will be created only in the name of the employee not the supplier. The supplier invoice will be considered as "proof" of his spendings and it will not be entered in the application. In general, total amount for each expense type will be entered in the application.

I would suggest you to read the "Expense Reports" section in the Payables user manual.

Cheers,
Saravanan
admin

Post by admin »

Agreed with Saravanan. thanks
myso

Post by myso »

thanks Saravanan So much for your help
nrao1981

Post by nrao1981 »

[quote]thanks Saravanan So much for your help

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by myso
harikumarc1981@rediffmail

Post by harikumarc1981@rediffmail »

[quote][quote]thanks Saravanan So much for your help

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by myso
hiszaki

Post by hiszaki »

Hi myso

For your issue you can make a workaround to solve your problem, as the Saravanan tell you create the prepayment & the invoices against the employee name but in the invoice line add DFF contain the suppliers LOV.

So when you create the invoice line add in the DFF the real supplier name & assign to this line the WHT code & try to design a customer report to get the suppliers from this DFF with the WHT related to these invoice lines.

Thanks
Hisham