Single versus RAC nodes backup

In this forum Oracle Applications DBA's, System Administrators & Developers can share their knowledge/issues.
akumar.oracle

Single versus RAC nodes backup

Post by akumar.oracle »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between "Single Node Backup process" to "2 node RAC Backup process"?

As a DBA do we just execute a command to backup to tapes and the rest is done by some other guy who has physical access to the TAPES? Please explain how this is done?

In an organization where we have Dataguard (1 production, 1 physical standby and 1 logical standby servers) the Production and physical servers have 2 node RAC. In this scenario while taking backup which server is used to take backup? as data is same in both servers isn't that true? Do we as DBA take backup of production server on tapes and as Production data is sync to standby server another backup is taken for that site. Please correct me if i am interpreting it wrong?

ta
Arvin
miananwar

Post by miananwar »

Hi,

Since Production (Primary) server is syn with other servers, only primary server backup is required but you have to see the what stragety has been chosen and the flexibility of primary and secondary servers synchornization.

regards,
anwar
mehmoodm

Post by mehmoodm »

For RAC hotbackup, you need to take care of the Archive backup if archive is generated on common locaiton, then you can run backup from any of the server.

cheers

[quote]Hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between "Single Node Backup process" to "2 node RAC Backup process"?

As a DBA do we just execute a command to backup to tapes and the rest is done by some other guy who has physical access to the TAPES? Please explain how this is done?

In an organization where we have Dataguard (1 production, 1 physical standby and 1 logical standby servers) the Production and physical servers have 2 node RAC. In this scenario while taking backup which server is used to take backup? as data is same in both servers isn't that true? Do we as DBA take backup of production server on tapes and as Production data is sync to standby server another backup is taken for that site. Please correct me if i am interpreting it wrong?

ta
Arvin

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by akumar.oracle