Item Coding Structure for Manufacturing Companies

Here members can post Oracle Manufacturing related questions and answers.
ahsanrasheed

Item Coding Structure for Manufacturing Companies

Post by ahsanrasheed »

Inventory Gurus...need your help

I need to know following....

1-How far Inventory Item Coding Structure / Item Flexfield structure can affect Oracle Process / Oracle Discrete Manugacturing Module functionalities (MRP, MPS,BOM, WIP, Min Max Planning, Re-order Levels functionalities)?

2-Can I define a generic Item Coding structure / Item flexfield structure and use the same with Oracle Process Manufacturing / Discrete Manufacturing modules functionalities?

3-What would be the implications if I go with option 2..what would I loose and what I would gain..?

your advises would be much appreciated.

regards

Ahsan
hiszaki

Post by hiszaki »

Hi Ahsan

My recommendation for you, use the item coding structure / item flexfield with 1 segment.

This segment will be easy to use & for any maintenance during work.
You can split this segment to many sectors. for example, suppose your segment will be 14 character you can split them like
- 1 ch, define the item type (finished product - raw material - packing - spare parts).
- 3 ch, define the location which use this items.
- 2 ch, define the serial for that item.
and so on.

you can make your legend to define each character.
The character split will be build according to your business need & the current system.

Hope I can help you
Thanks
Hisham
ata_rehman70

Post by ata_rehman70 »

Introduction - This real world case study on proposed item structure for a Food Processing and Distribution Company was based on the requirements of business, gathered through discussions during the implmentation project, as well as recommendations submitted by consultants.

1. Objective

The Decision on Inventory Flex fields Structure was taken based on achieving the following Objective: