Comparison of Oracle Financials and other sol

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
gvimalku

Comparison of Oracle Financials and other sol

Post by gvimalku »

Hi,
I'm a newbie to the forum. Would like to know if there is a good resource on pros and cons of Oracle Financials vis-a-vis other solutions in this area.

Thanks
gvimalku
ssmith2217

Post by ssmith2217 »

I am not sure if there is a good resource available. I did find some interesting information at www.2020software.com, but much if this was very commercial. So, use it with caution.

However, I researched several solutions over the past year and found that Oracle eBusiness seemed to be better for these particular reasons:
1 database (as opposed to Microsoft's solutions featuring multiple databases)
Flexible reporting design options. Other software required Crystal Reports or other reportwriter software.
Well-documented future path. Yes, we are gambling that "Fusion" will meet all promises and deadlines. However, if we choose not to upgrade to "Fusion" we can maintain support on existing apps as long as we choose to pay. There will not be any forced upgrades.
>90% of all Oracle apps customers are on the current version. I think that speaks to ease of upgrades, and the fact that upgrades typically come with desired technology. My current ERP vendor forces upgrades and that has caused us to lose functionality!
A single vendor can support the DB and apps. If we choose Oracle's Linux support (we did not), we could eliminate vendors even further.
Only 1 piece of 3rd-party software is required in our implementation. That software is the Vertex tax updates. All other vendors would require many pieces of 3rd-party software. I currently have 11 pieces of 3rd-party add-on software: image printing software, tax updates, etc. Microsoft and SAP would have required several with Microsoft being the worst offender.

Finally, we had Oracle DBA expertise on staff already. While that may not be your situation, it is an important consideration. What skills does your staff have currently? Will they need to re-train (and possibly lose staff later), or will you need to acquire it?

I hope my opinions help.
gvimalku

Post by gvimalku »

Thanks for this information. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

We do have Oracle DBA expertise already.