Need help to clone

In this forum Oracle Applications DBA's, System Administrators & Developers can share their knowledge/issues.
lukman

Need help to clone

Post by lukman »

Hello all,

I need help to clone a single node Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.10.2 with vision database. I stucked when tried to apply metalink's doc id 165195.1 section 3 step 4. It said to make changes to your configuration but it didn't state anything I could understand. It did said to apply a patch but didn't said which patch. Can someone explain that step to me and what should I do? Below is the note I mention about. Thx.

4. Making changes to your configuration
There are three ways to change your configuration:

* Apply a patch from Oracle that adds or changes the variables in your Context, AutoConfig template files, or AutoConfig driver files.
* Run the Context Editor to change the variables in your Context. For instructions on how to download and use the Context Editor, refer to Appendix C.
* If you have Oracle Applications Manager (OAM) H or higher installed, we recommend using the web based Context Editor to perform configuration updates to your Applications Context. OAM provides advanced features for context file editing. Refer to Oracle Applications Manager 11i Availability for instructions on installing OAM. Refer to Oracle Applications Maintenance Procedures - Section Managing Configuration Parameters for information on how to use the OAM Context Editor. Oracle Applications Maintenance Procedures - Section Managing Configuration Parameters for information on how to use the OAM Context Editor.

Note: Configuration changes will not take effect until you run AutoConfig and restart your server processes.
admin

Post by admin »

Pl download the following document and follow the cloning steps documented,

topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16

then let us know if any issues arise.

Thanks
shhuang

Post by shhuang »

It just let you know ...what situation will change your configragion.

just clone successful on 11.5.10.2
praful.dhonge

Post by praful.dhonge »

Hi

If you r cloning the Application first u have to run the pre-clone on the existing application
secondly copy the filesystem to target system
Change the xml file by using vi editor if unix and then run the autoconfig

No need to apply any patch.

rgds
Praful
lukman

Post by lukman »

hi all, after taking so long, I finally started to clone.
after prepared all with some diffulties I started to copy from source to target. There were some difficulties though. I couldn't copy all the file from source to target, after I checked looks like the file permission is set only to the user or its group so I tried to change the file permission so everyone can read & write. I found out that if I changed a folder permission so that everyone can read & write (and I also tick the selection to apply to all the files and folders in that folder) not all the files in some folders change. Is it the way it should be? I think that's not a good solution, right? I'm open to any suggestion.

After all copy process finished I tried to setup the target but stuck with java. My target machine log that it couldn't started java because there's no java in the target. I checked to source machine and compare the target machine, there I found that /visdb/9.2.0/jre/1.4.2/bin/java didn't exist in the target but exist in source machine.

Now, did I do the cloning process in the right way? Did I missed something that caused I couldn't copy all the files from source to target? Did I really have to change all the files so everyone can read & write? Thanks
lukman

Post by lukman »

So long since my last post to this thread. Here are the progress.

I managed to clone my system now and re-cloned it again though it's still just single node. Now I planned to clone from single node to multi node and re-clone from multi node to single node. Still reading all the docs that maybe needed. I'll let you all know the results.
lukman

Post by lukman »

Hello all, this is my progress. If anyone knew the answer to my questions, please help.

I recloned my clone so it's the 3rd clone from the start. When I started to copy from source to target, there were some files cannot be read. When I checked, the permission is only rw------- so I change all the files in the oracle's directory to rwxrwxr--, is that ok if the system is a production?

I re-read the documentation but couldn't figure how to clone from single node to multi node. Any help?(

When I execute the adcfgclone.pl it always said that it couldn't continue because I need to run orainstRoot.sh script as a root first. Is there a way to execute orainstRoot.sh script first without have to execute adcfgclone.pl script?

When I execute the adcfgclone.pl, the process exit with error like this:

RC-50004: Fatal: Error occured in ApplyDatabase:
Control file creation failed

ERROR while running Apply...

ERROR: Failed to execute ../<SID>db/9.2.0/appsutil/clone/bin/adclone.pl

How do I solve that? Thanks.
Rizwan.Cheema

Post by Rizwan.Cheema »

Hi,
I think, Due to any reason the required rights have been changed on your system so please run this root.sh script as root user.

$ cd /oracle/prodora/8.0.6/orainst/

$ sh root.sh

It will set the rights. After that try the adcfgclone.pl script.

Thanks and Regards
Rizwan Ahmad Cheema
admin

Post by admin »

This script is intended to be run by root. The script contains all the product installation actions that require root privileges.
lukman

Post by lukman »

Hi Rizwan & admin, CMIIW, I assumed that you answer to my question about orainstRoot.sh and you thought that I ran that script not as root, am I right?

If yes, that's not what I asked before. Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was how to make orainstRoot.sh script appear without have to run adcfgclone.sh script first? Because all this time what I did to make that script appear was to run adcfgclone.sh script first.

For the fatal error, I think I run the right script from the wrong folder, being too many folder created after too many clone process :P

I tried to run the root.sh script thought and here's what happened:

<i>Running Oracle8 root.sh script...

The following environment variables are set as:
ORACLE_OWNER= autobld1
ORACLE_HOME= .../oracle/visora/8.0.6
ORACLE_SID=
Are these settings correct (Y/N)? [Y]:</i>

Now, how come the ORACLE_OWNER became autobld1 and ORACLE_SID became empty? Here's what happened if I answer yes to the question :

<i>Enter the full pathname of the local bin directory [/usr/bin] : /usr/bin

Checking for "autobld1" user id...
Cannot find password file entry for "autobld1" user id.
Exiting install script.</i>

I think that's quite clear for me since the ORACLE_OWNER was not autobld1. But here's what happened if I answered no to the question:

<i>Exiting ORACLE ROOT install script. Please set these environment variables to the desired values.</i>

Something wrong here, I think.

BTW, I tried to run the right script from the right folder this time but still have problem about copy from source to target. Am I doing the right thing to change all the file's permission to 777 so that I can copy from source to target or that's wrong to do? Thank you for answering.
lukman

Post by lukman »

Hello,

I'm sorry for asking so many questions and here I am again asking more questions while I still couldn't solve my last questions.

In the administration documentation, there's a subject about nfs (I haven't tried using VNC yet). I'd tried to copy from source to target using nfs and stuck because of the permission (I'll try to use same username in source and target machine and let you know the result) so I just change all the permission to 777 (though it's a bad practice in production I think, right?). Because of that problem I tried to find another way of copying the files and got information about scp.

1. Is there any problem that we shouldn't use scp and use nfs instead?

2. Do we have to add source and target machine both in source's and target's hosts file and hosts.allow (/etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.allow)?

3. If we want to add another ip in hosts.allow (not using domain), what's the format? Is it :

portmap : ip1, ip2

or

portmap : ip1
portmap : ip2

or anything else?

I'd tried to googling and read linux's manuals about my questions but haven't found it yet.

Thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

1- First of all you should tar and untar with the same user.
2- scp is same a cp (copy command) but it is used to copy from other/remote machine. While NFS (covered in Sysadmin Document 11i) is used to map drives. While scp use the same user name and here is the scp steps,

a- login as oracle on source machine from where you have to copy
b- $ scp /d01/oracle/backup.tar oracle@<ip of destination machine>:/d01/oracle/backup_folder
c- It will ask for oracle password of destination machine.

3- Now on destination machine login as oracle and untar the file.

Hope it will work else let us know. thanks
lukman

Post by lukman »

I already success using scp yesterday (though I didn't tar first), just want to know whether can we use scp instead of nfs.
1- First of all you should tar and untar with the same user.
2- scp is same a cp (copy command) but it is used to copy from other/remote machine. While NFS (covered in Sysadmin Document 11i) is used to map drives. While scp use the same user name and here is the scp steps,

a- login as oracle on source machine from where you have to copy
b- $ scp /d01/oracle/backup.tar oracle@<ip of destination machine>:/d01/oracle/backup_folder
c- It will ask for oracle password of destination machine.

3- Now on destination machine login as oracle and untar the file.

Hope it will work else let us know. thanks

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by admin - 21/05/2007 : 01:02:17 AM</div id="right"></i>