Request for a solution

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
Dhananjay

Request for a solution

Post by Dhananjay »

Hello functional Guru's

I am putting below in brief a practical scenario. I request all experts to scratch your head and suggest a solution. Thanks in advance.

Various customers come to client to transfer their goods from one place to another by "AIR". Client provides this service. Client will book the space with any carrier and get the goods transferred. Client will use job codes for these transactions e.g. "AIR 001" for customer A and "AIR 002" for customer B etc. All expenses and revenue related to this transaction will have reference of this job code. This job code will be unique for every transaction and will never used in future again. Client wants to analyze profit for each job code.

As I said, this job code is not a pre-defined number and every new transaction has a new number, I am unable to capture the same through COA as a segment.

Creation of DFF in Invoice Distribution in AP, Transaction lines in AR and Journal lines in GL sounds a good solution, but the problem is, DFF information will not be transferred to GL from AP & AR. And secondly when we are providing DFF at data entry level, chances of users escaping from entering the desired values may defeat the purpose of having this DFF.

I request you all to suggest a workaround which may even include suggestions like use Discoverer or customize the report etc. but my only expectation is pl provide full details alongwith ellaborative descriptions as to how this requirement is going to get fulfilled.

Thanks & Regards
SIVAKUMAR_G

Post by SIVAKUMAR_G »

Hi

I assume you are planning to use only AP, AR, GL and CM

If you are planning to use PO then there is a possible solution.

Anyway when you set up Oracle you must have to define an
Inventory Organization

So Set up an Inventory Organization and enter the Items
as AIR 001 and AIR 002 etc as Item Type Service Item which
is not stockable or Transactable.

a) Define the Job code AIR001 and enter a PO.

When You match with PO to invoice it will get copied with the same Item Number.

Similarly you can use same AIR 001 as an item in AR to create Invoice

With the above you can create discoverer Report for each ITEM AIR001
for sales and capturing the cost

b) The other option is to create AIR001 as a Key flexfield as part of your accounting segment with Dynamic Inserts turned on and use it in both AP and AR for every Job code

Regards
Sivakumar
karthikeyanp1981

Post by karthikeyanp1981 »

Quoting
"And secondly when we are providing DFF at data entry level, chances of users escaping from entering the desired values may defeat the purpose of having this DFF "

why u feel DFF will be missed out during transaction entry... all segments in DFF can be made mandatory so a user cant proceed without filling it up !
SIVAKUMAR_G

Post by SIVAKUMAR_G »

Hi

I agree you can make DFF mandatory, but the issue what he mentions is correct. If you enter values in DFF and transfer to GL, you cannot get those values entered in AR and AP module DFF Values in GL DFF Values.

Regards
Sivakumar
sniffing

Post by sniffing »

IF you want to use job code in COA, and if it changes for every job you can create a segment as free form text where he can enter anything he wants.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Kiran