Problems about fresh install

In this forum Oracle Applications DBA's, System Administrators & Developers can share their knowledge/issues.
lukman

Problems about fresh install

Post by lukman »

Hello, do any of you have step by step documentation about fresh install like the one admin create about install vision database? I'm trying to do a fresh install and I'm confused with almost all the post-installation task documented in Oracle documentation.

BTW, when I setup fresh install there's one setting that make me doubt, it's about country specific functionalities. What would might be the problem occur and how to solve it assume that my country is not included in the list and I choose another nearest country?

Thanks
lukman

Post by lukman »

None answer my question yet. If any of you know the answer, please reply. Meanwhile I'll share what I got. I asked my friend and he said so far he had set it up to the nearest country and didn't have any problem at all.

Now, my next problem about how to configure PL/SQL Log & Out Directory. Just erase all directory links under utl_file_dir or just the tmp directory and then change to another directory we choose?

About database initialization parameter, the installation doc from oracle wrote that : "The current init.ora settings allow for a total 100 connections. However , after the standard setup is complete, only a few users can be connected ... ." I compared the init.ora and init<SID>.ora files from my vision machine and fresh install machine, other than directory links all are the same. So what caused only a few users can be connected and how do we change it because I don't know which one to change. Thanks
lukman

Post by lukman »

Here are what I got after all this time about fresh install:

1. Skip the country specific functionalities if the country doesn't exist

2. We need to change init<SID>.ora (located in /<SID>db/9.2.0/dbs) and APPLPTMP (change /<SID>appl/<SID>_<hostname>.env and enter OAM to change APPLPTMP) to change utl_file_dir

3. To change Database Initialization Parameters we need to change max_enabled_roles, processes & sessions variable in init<SID>.ora

[quote]None answer my question yet. If any of you know the answer, please reply. Meanwhile I'll share what I got. I asked my friend and he said so far he had set it up to the nearest country and didn't have any problem at all.

Now, my next problem about how to configure PL/SQL Log & Out Directory. Just erase all directory links under utl_file_dir or just the tmp directory and then change to another directory we choose?

About database initialization parameter, the installation doc from oracle wrote that : "The current init.ora settings allow for a total 100 connections. However , after the standard setup is complete, only a few users can be connected ... ." I compared the init.ora and init<SID>.ora files from my vision machine and fresh install machine, other than directory links all are the same. So what caused only a few users can be connected and how do we change it because I don't know which one to change. Thanks

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by yudi_lukman
sudhakarpv5

Post by sudhakarpv5 »

Hi Yudi,

Regarding your questions/doubts:

1. That's right but mostly as we will be working in the US based functionalities, we go by default or else just do the step you did -- skip the step of country-specific functionalities

2. If its just about the PL/SQL files, then just change the init.ora file for the utl_file_dir parameter and bounce the database - it will take care of it. But if it's for the LOG & OUT files, then yes, you need to change the APPLPTMP parameter from the OAM (its a more easy way). You can do the same changes in another way also, which is, if you have "editcontext" utility, then also you can modify the parameter.

3. For this point, you can modify/increase the sessions parameter in init.ora file.
lukman

Post by lukman »

Hi sudhakarpv5,

When you wrote init.ora do you really mean init.ora or init<SID>.ora? Thanks.

[quote]Hi Yudi,

Regarding your questions/doubts:

1. That's right but mostly as we will be working in the US based functionalities, we go by default or else just do the step you did -- skip the step of country-specific functionalities

2. If its just about the PL/SQL files, then just change the init.ora file for the utl_file_dir parameter and bounce the database - it will take care of it. But if it's for the LOG & OUT files, then yes, you need to change the APPLPTMP parameter from the OAM (its a more easy way). You can do the same changes in another way also, which is, if you have "editcontext" utility, then also you can modify the parameter.

3. For this point, you can modify/increase the sessions parameter in init.ora file.

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by sudhakarpv5