Adding new business in Oracle Applications

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
Dinesh

Adding new business in Oracle Applications

Post by Dinesh »

Hello Gurus,
My client has acquired four new businesses and they want to rollout existing Financial modules GL/AP to them. My question is what would be the best approach to rollout GL/AP to these new businesses.
1) Do I need new CAO/SOB etc or can I use existing one ?
2) How can I make sure that addition of new business would bring minimal work load to month-end process.
3) In future(in two years time) 2 out of these four businesses will merge. So what would be the best design approach ?

Cheers
Dinesh
SIVAKUMAR_G

Post by SIVAKUMAR_G »

Hi

a) First of all Let us know which application version you are currently running on
b) What are the Financials Modules they use? Is it only AP & GL?
c) Is the Reporting requirements are same for the new Business?
d) Is your current COA segments will meet the requirements of new Business.
e) Is all the new Business is in same country or different countries?
f) Is there a Tax applicable for those new Businesses?
g) Is Payments and receipts are handled independently
h) Are they planning to use any other Module?
i) Is there a consolidation requirement? (i.e) Will there be any intercompany Transaction

These aspects needs to be considered before you decide

Regards
Sivakumar
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Hi Siva,
Thanks for reply. Please see my comments in red below.

a) First of all Let us know which application version you are currently running on <font color="red">11.5.10.2</font id="red">
b) What are the Financials Modules they use? Is it only AP & GL? <font color="red">Only AP & GL (atleast thats is what I am told)</font id="red">
c) Is the Reporting requirements are same for the new Business? <font color="red">Basic reporting will be the same. They may have requirement of few extra custom reports but I don't think that would have any major impact.</font id="red">
d) Is your current COA segments will meet the requirements of new Business. <font color="red">Yes we intend to keep same segments numbers for new business</font id="red">e) Is all the new Business is in same country or different countries?
f) Is there a Tax applicable for those new Businesses? <font color="red">Yes</font id="red">
g) Is Payments and receipts are handled independently <font color="red">Yes</font id="red">
h) Are they planning to use any other Module? <font color="red">I am not sure but can sense they have to use PO and Inventory at some stage.</font id="red">
i) Is there a consolidation requirement? (i.e) Will there be any intercompany Transaction <font color="red">Yes</font id="red">

These aspects needs to be considered before you decide

<font color="red">Let me know your thoughts.</font id="red">
SIVAKUMAR_G

Post by SIVAKUMAR_G »

Hi

Based on the information provided , You can define new balancing sengments and create a new operating unit which will help you to meet the business requirements

Advantages
a) You can do intercompany transactions
b) You can merge both in the future
c) You can generate Consolidation reports
d) You can build security rules in GL so that one OU does not access other OU transaction

Disadvantage.

a) In GL if you use autopost to post the transactions, it will post for all OU as GL is not org specific

Hope this helps

Regards
Sivakumar