What is offset method in payable ?

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
k_amjad

What is offset method in payable ?

Post by k_amjad »

hai any ane tell me what is offset method in payables and what is use of it
raviteja.manchu

Post by raviteja.manchu »

Hi Amzad,

The offset is used to offset the liability account.if you use balancing method as 'Balancing' then the balancing segment will be picked from the distribution line and remaining code combination from the supplier site level and forms the liability account code combination.

Same like if you use offset as 'Account' then the account code will be picked from the supplier site level and remaining from the distribution lines.

If you None then liability will be defaulted from the supplier site.

This feature will be useful at the time of intercompany.

Regards,
Ravi
k_amjad

Post by k_amjad »

THANKS RAVI

PLS CAN YOU SEND ME SOME IMP TOPIC IN AP
joythomas

Post by joythomas »

Hi Amzad,

Let me give some more details.

If you enable "Automatic Offsets" in Payables options, payables automatically balances invoice and payment and will create offset entries for each Balancing segment.
This is very useful when you are using more than one company or fund accounting and Company and Fund are used as a balancing segments.
If you are not enabled this option , if you create an invoice with 2 distribution lines and each of the lines you have used 2 separate companies / funds , the payables will create only one liability account .

Whereas when you are enabled Automatic offset, in the above case , the Payables will create liabilities for each distribution line .

If you select the Balancing as your Automatic Offset method , Payable will take the default liability account string of the invoice and will create liability accounts with the balancing segment in the distribution lines . ? Here only replace balancing segment and rest of the accounting segments coming from the default liability account string

If you select Account as your Automatic Offset Method, Payables will take the account used for the distribution and substitutes the account segment from the default liability
account for the invoice, preserving all other segment values. ?Here only replace Liability account segment in the distribution string and creates the liability account string.

Let me know , if you need more info.
Payables 11.5.10 user guide is good source for Automatic Offset feature.

Thanks

Joy Thomas
hiszaki

Post by hiszaki »

Hi Joy

Thanks for your explanation, but I have a question. You told this is useful when you are using more than one company or fund accounting and Company and Fund are used as a balancing segments.

So the question is when I have more than one company I made a security profile for each company to only use the segment of the company so how I can use this function if I made this security profile?

For ex. I have 2 companies so I made 2 payable responsibility for each company so can I used this function in any company although I made a security profile to only accept 1 company segment & refused the other.

Thanks
Hisham
joythomas

Post by joythomas »

Hisham

Eg. If you have purchased paper for printing and you have more than one company and need to enter separate distribution lines in payable invoice for each company and if the companies have security rule and security profiles attached to responsibilities to restrict entering and access to intercompany transactions ,in this case , you need to create a separate responsibility for the entering those transactions , either the security rule and security profile should not assign to that responsibility.

Let me know you have any questions.

Thanks

Joy Thomas
hiszaki

Post by hiszaki »

Hi Joy

Thanks for your explanation & I'll check about this option in our business & give you the feedback any way.

Thanks Again
Hisham
oracleapps1983

Post by oracleapps1983 »

Hi joy can you clearly explain through an example with amount how piratically it will be done