Key flex

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
priyaakumar

Key flex

Post by priyaakumar »

Hi,

When can can you define keyflexfield in GL?? and how many segments can be defined in a keyflexfield??

Is it possible to have say about 30 segments in it?

A quick reply would be handy.

Thanks
Velumuthu

Post by Velumuthu »

Priyaa,

To track your Accounting events you need to have Accounting Key Flexfield in GL.The maximum Segment you can set is 30.In in real life scenario an Organization will be content with 10 or 15 Segments.Very rarely organizations go for 15 Segments.In my previous project we had 5 Segments viz, Co,Department,Account,Sub Account,Future.In one of my projects we had 9 Segments.I am told that an US based MNC is using 22 Segments.

Regards,
Velumuthu.S
amit_gupta

Post by amit_gupta »

Hi Priyaa,

Key FlexFields are the mandatory fields which is require in Oracle Apps. They are the Dimensions on which Accounting of the company is based. They were created at the time we create the SOB's for company and after creation if me make a single entery in that strycture than we cannot change it because it could effect the validaty of the data and led to coruption if tables. Key Flexfields are primary and compulsory storage points of accounting data which is used for the further recording & Analyisiing. creating financial Statements and Reporting purposes.

We have 30 segments only and we have to craete our stucture by remaing in this limit above it we cant go and its good to have structure of less than 15 as it become more complex and rigid as we add one more segments but you can use all 30 segments.

Regards
Amit Gupta