Installation of Red Hat Linux

Here you can discuss Operating Systems Linux/Windows issues.
maga2724

Installation of Red Hat Linux

Post by maga2724 »

I have installed the Red Hat OS. After completing the installation it takes to grub>.

Can I anyone help me on this matter.

Thanks

Mohammed AbdulGaffar
lukman

Post by lukman »

what help do you need?

btw, I got new machine and I'm trying to install Redhat Linux Advanced Server 4 in my machine. I'm using a core duo 1.86 processor, 2 GB DDR2 memory, 256 MB NVidia VGA card, 1 GB NIC, and a 250 GB SATA2 HDD. After selecting language & keyboard type the next window is Installation method with the message :

What type of media contains the packages to be installed?

with options :

Local CDROM
Hard drive
NFS image
FTP
HTTP

None of the selection success. If I choose Local CDROM I got error message : No driver found. Unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver disk?

If I choose select driver, none of the drivers work and I don't have any driver disk. I tried to change the DVD rom but still not success. The second DVD works with another machine. Is this really a driver issue? I'm afraid I bought a wrong machine :(( Please help. Thx.
admin

Post by admin »

As Duo Core technology is quite new in the market and Linux AS version is earlier so latest drivers need to be downloaded from net and for hard ware or media related you should contact your vendor. Pl also visit,

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... p?t=479778

thanks
Rizwan.Cheema

Post by Rizwan.Cheema »

Mohammed AbdulGaffar
You have selected the grub option during your installation.
This link may help you to resolve the issue
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual ... ml#Booting

Thanks and Regards
Rizwan Ahmad Cheema
lukman

Post by lukman »

Dear admin,

I guess that my OS is quite old too, I'll try to get a new one. Just to share, last Friday I got a chance to use HP G5 machine and I tried to use my RH AS 4 update 2 and it didn't detect the NIC. After that I used RH AS update 3 and it goes smooth. I'm still trying to find it though why it took quite the same time if I installed Oracle Apps on my HP ML 150 server. The G5 have 2.00 GHz dual core processor with 6 GB memory and 500 GB HDD.

Anyway, I searched redhat website and I couldn't find any information about RH Advanced Server anymore. Has redhat stopped it and switched to RH Enterprise Linux? All I could find is about RH EL now. Thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

Pl visit the link for the supported version,

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... p?t=524947

and the following to read about latest version RHEL 5,

http://www.redhat.com
lukman

Post by lukman »

I'd tried to install RHEL 4 update 3 in my new machine but still having the same error :(( I'm trying to find hardware driver for all the hardware in the new machine now. Hope I'm lucky since I couldn't get newer update for RHEL 4. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

Better to provide us the drivers detail so if someone has any info will share with you. thanks
Irfan

Post by Irfan »

Hi,

I think so I can help you. Can you provide full information on your motherboard and the chipset its using.
lukman

Post by lukman »

As I wrote before, the specs of my machine are Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz processor, 2 pieces of Kingston KVR800D2N5/1G DDR2 memory, 256 MB ATI Radeon X1050 VGA card, Asus P5B motherboard, 500W power supply built in Enlight casing, and a 250 GB SATA2 Seagate HDD.

The HDD works fine in another motherboard. I had searched in Asus website and contacted their technical support. Unfortunately Asus didn't have Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 update 2 or 3 driver. In fact, from the documentation it seems that motherboard didn't support any Linux at all. So the source of my problem was the motherboard. Stupid me I forgot to check the hardware compatibility when bought that machine, now it would cost me a fortune to get another motherboard.

I thought about replacing that motherboard, searched Intel website and asked their technical support too. The only motherboard they suggest with my processor is Intel S3000AH but it only supported max 667 MHz memory where what I have were 2 pieces of 800 MHz memory and the system might not work properly if I still use my memory. Intel cannot guarantee the stability of the system because my VGA card is not in their hardware test list too. I'm still trying to find a way so that I can use my new machine with Oracle Apps 11.5.10.2 without make me broke because I need to replace that hardware with my own money :(( The cost of using mixed hardware is chasing me now :p
lukman

Post by lukman »

Hadn't replace my machine I tried to install Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 I got today. Installation of linux was successfull (can't install patch 4198954, openmotif21 and libaio though. libaio-development required openmotif21 while openmotif21 required libXp.so.6 which I don't find it anywhere in the disk. If I tried to install libaio from RH EL 4 disk it said that newer version has already been installed.) but when I tried to install Apps it gave me this error message :

bash: ./rapidwiz: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

gosh ... can't be happy yet :(( help.