Checks voiding procedure?

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
sikandar

Checks voiding procedure?

Post by sikandar »

What is the exact procedure of voiding a check like tax and other calculations will also be reversed or not and what if Financial year is changed and you have to void check due to certain reasons. thanks
Atif

Post by Atif »

Exact procedure of voiding a check

Complete navigation path in AP is as follows-

Navigator > Payments > Entry > Payment Batches > (Menu) View > Query By Example > Enter > Run > (Button) Actions > Void

Tax and other calculations

As soon as the check is reversed, the invoice gets opened i.e. available for payment. Normally the only calculations affected at the time of payment processing are withholding tax therefore these are reversed. Other items are recorded separately using debit credit memo as a standard practice.

What if financial year is changed?

When you select ?Void?, the system asks you to specify the GL date in which the transaction has to be recorded.

By default, the system offers current date.
Payment can not be voided before the date on which it was originally processed.

In case current period is not opened, the system will bring the GL date of last day of last open period by default. This date can be changed by selecting any value from the list. The periods which are closed would not appear in the list unless these are reopened.

All of the above would apply irrespective of whether the financial year has been closed or not

As a standard practice, the check should be voided in the current period instead of any past period. This is so because all previous reports that had been submitted to higher management before voiding checks would be affected.

Atif
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for all the detail. Now let me explain first issue,
A person is responsible to print checks, he/she keeps a check with him (not damaged) and prints 2nd one by voiding. Now that check can also be signed. So my concern here is to delegate anuthority to someone else to void the checks and he/she will tear off the check and will allow the 2nd one. Currently only one control is available that is payment voucher which will be attached with the checks. Standard functionality is ok. Hope problem is more clear now.
Atif

Post by Atif »

Sorry,i am not able to get u
"So my concern here is to delegate anuthority to someone else to void the checks and he/she will tear off the check and will allow the 2nd one."
u want to assign a person to make the check void or something like that.
kindly elaborate
admin

Post by admin »

Ya you are right. I want that the person responsible to print checks should not be able to void.
Atif

Post by Atif »

System Administrator can restrict the user responsible for payment processing, to void a cheque. He just needs to disable the Void check box. The user accesses check box by pressing Payment Actions button.
admin

Post by admin »

I am not saying to disable the functionality but saying that voiding authority should be separate. Say user A is printing checks and if he/she need to void any check then user B should do this and then user A would be able to print that check. Hope now situation is clear.
Atif

Post by Atif »

This functionality would be disabled for User A so that he can not cancel a cheque. Such responsibility would remain enabled for User B. User B may also be restricted to prepare the cheque if required. Whenever a user has to be restricted for a particular action, such creen or button is disabled for his responsibility
Regards
Atif
admin

Post by admin »

Now I got your point. Just let me clear that this restriction would on the responsibility. Pl do let me know the exact navigation to check/uncheck this option. Thanks
maajid

Post by maajid »

You need to find out what the option to void checks is called by:

goto Sysadmin responsibility > press ctrl & L > look for responsibility> then once the window is open, Query (f11) the resp.

this will bring back the resp setup..ie. what reports it can access etc.

From this page obtain the MENU name..halfway down on left side.

Once u have 'copied' it... go to main navigator.. click ctrl & L again and this time type in MENU.

Once this has opened PASTE in the menu name on the 2nd field down(i think it is labelled as 'menu description')

Once queried, the bottom half of the screen will show ALL the menu options that responsibilty has. From this list u need to find the voiding checks option and take a note of the FUNCTION.

NOW U need to the ABOVE again, but this time query in the resp u want to STOP from voiding checks. Get the Menu Name. go to menu setup screen and DELETE or end date the Voiding checks option.
This will Disable the option so anyone with this responsbiility will not be able to cancel checks.

Hope that makes sense.
admin

Post by admin »

Let me confirm. Thanks for such a detailed description.