Structural changes of Accounting FlexField?

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
anu_uma

Structural changes of Accounting FlexField?

Post by anu_uma »

Hi,
Can we change the Accounting Flexfield, After being used for transactions in the subledgers being posted to GL. Can we do the changes to the Accountig Flexfield Structure and to the Values???

TIA
admin

Post by admin »

Structural changes should never be made. That is the reason that we always keep atleast 2 segments for future use in each flexfield. thanks
clickrudra

Post by clickrudra »

i think yes we can change accounting flexfilds and SOB (account values) after transection in GL but the impact would be like you wont be able able to see past entries and so on.
anu_uma

Post by anu_uma »

Admin,
if at all a client want to change the structure of the accounting flexfield, what has to be done? there will be a way to sort out this, becos, we can do the freezing of flexfield which helps in recompiling the structure..........
ahmadbilal

Post by ahmadbilal »

[quote]Hi,
Can we cahnge the Accounting Flexfield, After being used for transactions in the subledgers being posted to GL. Can we do the changes to the Accountig Flexfield Structure and to the Values???

TIA

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by anu_uma
admin

Post by admin »

Pl share the changes you are planning for? If you will ask me then the the structural changes mean fresh/new implementations, changing customized reports etc. thanks
raviteja.manchu

Post by raviteja.manchu »

we can change the accounting flesfield structure,but it is not advisable .bz if u change the structure you can not see the existing data,u can view only the balances.that is the reason better to have one or two future use segments.

ravi manchu,
+919908377739.
vijayasarathyr

Post by vijayasarathyr »

If the change is inevitable then as some said, you may have to consider as a fresh implementations. Also please note that when you chage the structure itself after entering transactions, you may not know where this has impact. If something goes wrong backend, you are literally screwed. This is not a suggested practice.
admin

Post by admin »

AoA,
Let me give an example if there is a 4 story building and the owner asks that building floor between 2 and 3 then following questions need to be answered,

- Can you do this?
- At what cost?

Well it is simple to have structural changes within a room but if you talk about the building then all changes are not possible. If possible then not affordable.

Thanks
ahmadbilal

Post by ahmadbilal »

Very Logical man :)

[quote]AoA,
Let me give an example if there is a 4 story building and the owner asks that building floor between 2 and 3 then following questions need to be answered,

- Can you do this?
- At what cost?

Well it is simple to have structural changes within a room but if you talk about the building then all changes are not possible. If possible then not affordable.

Thanks

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by admin
anu_uma

Post by anu_uma »

Hi All,
It was nice to have a chat or sharing the knowledge on this topic, I would like to thank every one for your support and guidance.

As we all discussed, even i know that it is not advisable to change the accounting structure but just a matter of knowledge, if at all there is a need what has to be done?
This has been a platform for me to think about the change of COA. I will try in Vision Instance and let you all know the impact of it.............. it may take some time.............

Pls try and comments are welcome

Always be Happy ...........
admin

Post by admin »

Actually "Structural Changes" is a generic word as I already mentioned that what kind of changes you are interested in. So provide the details of changes you are exactly looking for so we can comment on those changes. thanks
anu_uma

Post by anu_uma »

Hi Admin,

Changes in the sense, making a segment to one or more subdivision, for example in Singapore Vision - we dont have any extra segments as future 1 or future 2, in that case if a client wants to change the accounting flexfield what can we do? it is not like changing the size of the segement, i want to include a segment or exclude a segment.....
sridhar_6735

Post by sridhar_6735 »

Hi Uma

pls be informed that what you requested is possible in apps. But lot of historical detailed data will go. As a consultant before you allow the client to go for these changes inform him of the consequances and proceed.
Cheekoo

Post by Cheekoo »

Hi,

I have no practical experience with OFA, however I have very little understanding of the Data Base Design and I can straight away tell you. ITS POSSIBLE BUT NEVER RECOMMENDED.

Its like disolving sugar into your tea and THEN trying to extract the sugar back from that same cup. Also in a crytalised form.

One change @ front end to the AFF creates uncountable signature at the back end. You will not be able to find anyone able to fix it. There is NO option/alternative to a fresh implementation.

I hope my tea help you understand it.