Apps DBA role in Backup and Recovery?

In this forum Oracle Applications DBA's, System Administrators & Developers can share their knowledge/issues.
akumar.oracle

Apps DBA role in Backup and Recovery?

Post by akumar.oracle »

Hi,
I am trying to figure out the role of
Apps DBA, Core DBA(9i, 10g), System Administrator(Solaris & RHEL), SAN, Veritas Netbackup Administrator in Backup and Recovery.

In an organization where we have seperate Apps DBA and Core DBA how is the task divided in regards to Backup and Recovery? Do they both use RMAN utility? and to what extent?

Please can someone explain it. And what is the popular Backup and Recovery procedure used?

thanks

ta
Arvin
umair85

Post by umair85 »

Hi,

Its really a very important and very common understanding issue in the ERP environment.

I have also a task for the near future to configure hot backup scheduling thru RMAN on TAPE library which is configured wid ERP Servers.

A question arises in my mind that, to which extent we can do this activity as an Apps-DBA??

regards,
UNA
abdulrehman19711971

Post by abdulrehman19711971 »

Dear Kumar,

specially in subcontinent the person who is successful JAG for all trades -:)
you have to know all knowledge to be a successful DBA not only apps either core.for survival you have to know strongly RMAN,netbackup and other system commands
mehmoodm

Post by mehmoodm »

Well the APPS DBA would be doing Oracle APPS 11i / 12, installation, cloning , patching, system administration etc

and the Core DBA would be managing the Oracle 9i/ 10g / 11g enterprise databases, also he would be doing RAC, Replication, Data Guard, Streams , RMAN, performance tunning, etc

But any person either DBA or APPS DBA must know how to use the RMAN things.

And the popular backup and recovery procedure is to use RMAN, and the most "important" thing to test the backups, whether they get resotred!! :)

cheers
Mehmood