Refund to customer

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
EMANUEL

Refund to customer

Post by EMANUEL »

HI,

Please let me know the procedure for making to customers

Rgds
oteixeira

Post by oteixeira »

Hello Emanuel.

This is for releases up to 11i.
You have to look up for the customer balance. There are more then one possible situation:
1.You customer balance is zero.
2.Your customer balance is creditor.

In case 1 you will have to issue him a Credit Memo for the amount you want to refund, with the following accounting:

DR Revenue
CR Receivables

In case 2 you have already done that.

In Receivables you cannot issue payments so the solution is to use Payables to do that. So what you need to do is:
-Put your customer account to zero. For that you will need to issue a Debit Memo with the following accounting:

DR Receivables
CR Clearing Account

Now, in Receivables your customer balance is zero. Create it as Supplier in Payables and record a Standard invoice with the following accounting:

DR Clearing Account
CR Liability

Issue a cheque to pay the invoice and send it to your customer. The clearing account is now zero. The refund has been done.

Hope this helps.

Octavio.
anjan123

Post by anjan123 »

[quote]Hello Emanuel.

This is for releases up to 11i.
You have to look up for the customer balance. There are more then one possible situation:
1.You customer balance is zero.
2.Your customer balance is creditor.

In case 1 you will have to issue him a Credit Memo for the amount you want to refund, with the following accounting:

DR Revenue
CR Receivables

In case 2 you have already done that.

In Receivables you cannot issue payments so the solution is to use Payables to do that. So what you need to do is:
-Put your customer account to zero. For that you will need to issue a Debit Memo with the following accounting:

DR Receivables
CR Clearing Account

Now, in Receivables your customer balance is zero. Create it as Supplier in Payables and record a Standard invoice with the following accounting:

DR Clearing Account
CR Liability

Issue a cheque to pay the invoice and send it to your customer. The clearing account is now zero. The refund has been done.

Hope this helps.

Octavio.

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by oteixeira
oteixeira

Post by oteixeira »

Hello Anjan.
Do you mean to record a Misc Receipt and send a cheque to the customer? I can agree that it works also but in that case the system will not show the truth. It will show that the customer sales were of a certain amount when, in reality, that amount should be smaller. Also you will loose control on the refund because it will not be shown on the customer or supplier account.

Octavio
EMANUEL

Post by EMANUEL »

HI,

I tried using the Refund Option in R 12 but it throws various errors

Can some let me know what is the exact procedure to follow this in R12 for making a Refund

Rgds
Emanuel
tgs100

Post by tgs100 »

EMANUEL,

Not major setups are required for this. You should create a receivable activity for refund and also setup the payable options correctly.

1. Have you completed refund transaction in AR? If not, where do you struck?
2. If you have completed step 1, then check whether any AP transaction created in Payables. If not, check the transactions in AP Interface.

In which step you are struck? Also post the error message, if any.

Cheers,
Saravanan
EMANUEL

Post by EMANUEL »

Hi,

Please let me have any document on this whereby I can check if I have done the set up and transaction correctly or not?

Rgds
tgs100

Post by tgs100 »

Details are available in the Receivable User Manual for R12 (Standard oracle document).

Cheers,
Saravanan