Technical vs. Functional

All the discussion which is not possible in the above forums should be posted here.
moody

Technical vs. Functional

Post by moody »

hello folks;

maybe it's a silly question but I'm newbie in oracle applications world

i want to know what is the responsibilities for each of technical and functional oracle application??

and what should the technical do and what should the functional??

thanks in advance
anu_uma

Post by anu_uma »

Hi,
This is not at all a silly question ...............

A functional consultant will look after the set up's and issues that are related to a functionality of a module/ modules. Where as the technical should know the functionality and the technical way to find the solution for the issues that are out of reach of the functional consultants.

other than this, Sysadmin, AOL and little DBA activities are related to Technical consultants
Above all, as a technical consultants they have to work more on Forms,REports and SQL, PL/sql queries..............

Running the queries and scripts, giving the output etc etc....
karthickst

Post by karthickst »

Hi UMA,

I also am new to this, Can you please suggest some of Technical Materials for TechnoConsultant.

regards
Karthick
amit018

Post by amit018 »

Hello Everyone,

I am confused in Oracle Apps, as to which domain is more in demand nowadays and will have more job opportunities. I have to decide pursuing either Financials (including GL,AP,AR, FA modules) or Manufacturing (OM,INV, Purchasing, BOM). As a fresher, can you recommend which of these paths will be better and in that whether I should go as a technical or a functional consultant.

I am familiar with general responsibilities of functional and technical people, but want to know which of these two paths has better career prospects.

Thanks in Advance.
Cheekoo

Post by Cheekoo »

Let me join the que .. ;)

Studying OFA where I am the only person persuing towards Functional Track .... the rest of the class is Technical. Resultantly and I guess due to popularity ,, the course is also designed Techno-Very-little-Functional.

I feel like a lost cow in the class room. Though I am trying my best to connect the dots, I assume that I will not be doing all thats being taught in the class. They Talk about Interfaces - Staging Table etc .. it makes sense and I am sure the knowlede will not go to waste but .....

PLEASE .. some Functional Person .... tell me ... what will I be doing on job, if and when I get it.

My teacher tells me that when we will start AIM then I will understand more ....... and then again I feel like a lost cow and someone just turning my face towards another direction.
anu_uma

Post by anu_uma »

Hi,
Sorry for delay in replying... I am not the right person to suggest you to go thru the technical contents.
U have to check the Technical forum in this site and also u can post your queries in the forum.

There are many good technical consultants to share their knowledge and to guide you.

So pls post your queries in technical forum

Hi UMA,

I also am new to this, Can you please suggest some of Technical Materials for TechnoConsultant.

regards
Karthick

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by karthickst - 10/04/2007 : 6:00:54 PM</div id="right"></i>
Thanks
anu_uma

Post by anu_uma »

Let me join the que .. ;)

Studying OFA where I am the only person persuing towards Functional Track .... the rest of the class is Technical. Resultantly and I guess due to popularity ,, the course is also designed Techno-Very-little-Functional.

I feel like a lost cow in the class room. Though I am trying my best to connect the dots, I assume that I will not be doing all thats being taught in the class. They Talk about Interfaces - Staging Table etc .. it makes sense and I am sure the knowlede will not go to waste but .....

PLEASE .. some Functional Person .... tell me ... what will I be doing on job, if and when I get it.

My teacher tells me that when we will start AIM then I will understand more ....... and then again I feel like a lost cow and someone just turning my face towards another direction.

<i><div align="right">Originally posted by Cheekoo - 01/05/2007 : 6:44:47 PM</div id="right"></i>
Hi Cheekoo,
What are you looking for? As a technical or functional??

Functional consultant will start from analysing the present scenario of the company and design the new work style related to apps and look after the set up's and issues that are related to a functionality of a module/ modules. Where as the technical should know the functionality and the technical way to find the solution for the issues that are out of reach of the functional consultants.

Thanks,
Uma
Cheekoo

Post by Cheekoo »

Hi Uma,

Appreciate your response.

I am a Functional Cow or at least want to be.

Please shoot your comments.

Cheekoo
admin

Post by admin »

Here are few responsibilities in my mind and thoughts of all the members is welcome.

<b>Technical Consultant,</b>

<u>System Administrator</u>
Who knows all the functions available in the Sys Admin Responsibility.

<u>Module Administrator</u>
Who is functionally strong in certain module and can give support/guidance to end users. Like a HRMS Admin should know all the process involved in HRMS and how these are handled in the applications.
Who can configure the module.

<u>Apps DBA</u>
Who can Install the application.
Who can patch the application.
Who is responsible for backups and recovery.
Who is responsible for performance tunning.
Who should be aware of Operating System on which he/she has to operate.

<u>Reports/Forms Developer</u>
Who can work on reports and forms for customizations.
Who knows the schema of applications.

<b>Functional Consultant:</b>
Who can conduct System study.
Who knows about the business processes.
Who will write functional definition document.
Who knows how the process will be handled in Oracle apps.

All the above will work in coordination.
muthyala

Post by muthyala »

Thank U Admin.for ur explanation
Rgds
Muthyala