Financials Document Revision

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
roy

Financials Document Revision

Post by roy »

I am following your document OAF -V2.5 and trying to define the Set of Books. I completed the entries as shown in chap 04-Accounting Calendar. The report status is Completed - Normal.

I have entered the prefix, Type, Year, QTR, No,From, To, Name (DEFAULTS) and Check Marked the ADJ Period. The only difference in the entry is the start date I have entered ( Year - 2007) 01-NOV-2006 - 30th Nov 2006 and following ending at ADJ, ( Year - 2007) Period (5) And Date from 01-NOV-2007 To 30-NOV-2007. I even tried the Adj Period 5 with date as 01-DEC-2007 to 31-DEC-2007 it does not work.

But when I Define the Set of Books and try to save the following error message appears in a pop up window.
[There is a gap in your <CALENDAR_NAME> calendar. Not all dates between 31-OCT-07 and 30-NOV-07 are assigned to a period. Please fix the calendar or pick another one].

KINDLY ADVICE WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG AND HOW TO RECTIFY TO PROCEED.

Thanks,

Roy
admin

Post by admin »

Pl recheck the data entered or provide here the data you have entered. There must be some thing missing. There is a gap in your data.
Secondly please download latest version of the document v3.1 as well. In version 3.1 more topics are included with AR module.

thanks
admin

Post by admin »

Dear Roy,
After receiving your email I have reviewed the document and your entry screens so there is a need of correction both in the document and in your entries.

Document:

ADJ XX_Period Type 2007 5 13 01-DEC-2007 31-DEC-2007 ADJ-07 Enable << wrong

ADJ XX_Period Type 2007 5 13 30-JUN-2007 30-JUN-2007 ADJ-07 Enable << correct entry

Your Entry
As your adjustment period is num 13 of November so it should be the 2nd period after november period in sequence. Say for example you have an adjustment period after each quarter then you will have to place them after each quarty.
Jan 2006, Feb 2006, Mar 2006, Apr 2006, Adj (Apr) 2006

Jan 2006, Feb 2006, Mar 2006, Apr 2006, May 2006, Adj (Apr) 2006 << will give you error because there is a gap between Apr 2006 and Adj (Apr) 2006.

Hope now your issue will be resolved. In the mean while I have updated the document and it will be uploaded with new version number.

Thanks
roy

Post by roy »

Dear Admin,

I want to Thank you for your detailed posting I was stuck unable to proceed I hope the correction mentioned will solve the problem. Meanwhile ....

1> I have come across other possible typo (errors).
On page 46/167 Document Categories under 3.1 in the code segment you have mentioned code as 226 but the screen shot shows code as 246. Please advice which to follow.

2> On page 43/167 Under Defining Journal Catergories in the category we enter xx_Journal Categories but on page 47/167 under Sequence Assignment 4.1 you have asked to enter xx_Journal Category. Later on when I query I see XX_Journal Categories and XX_Journal Category. Just curious to know if it is correct if yes can you pls briefly explain the differnece.

3> on page 21/167 Company Segment values - 1.2 Define child Ranges Button cannot be selected if the parent tab is not check marked. I had no clue why the button was not active finally I checked marked the parent tab then the Button became active ( this is not documented ,this note is just for newbies like me who follow the guide)

Thank You

Roy
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Roy,
The document is corrected and latest version uploaded at the following link,

topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=276

I will appreciate if you will follow this document as you have older version and page numbers are different.

1> Corrected to 246.
2> It is XX_Journal_Category.
3> A note and a screen provided in the document for guidance.

Thanks for your inputs which will really help us in providing quality material.

I am sure the way you are following and practicing the document when you will reach at the end of the document you will be an expert.

Take care and have a nice day...
roy

Post by roy »

Dear Admin,

Once again I begin by saying thanks to both of you for the documentation made available. Great respect to you both.

I am an absolute newbie progressing slowly, in return for your generous gesture of producing the document, the least I can do in return is to inform you of any possible errors in the documentation. If you want to create this as a new topic please advice.

I am referring to the New Document 3.1.1, (apologize if I am wrong) on page 58/351 we are starting to practice journal entry, a brand new journal. Your screen shot and mine is different when I read some additional documentation of the screen something caught my attention - The METHOD field - (change sign) in your screen shot is this right? Are we doing a reversal to a Journal entry? Sorry again if I am wrong.

Roy
admin

Post by admin »

The way you can set method is demonstrated on page 83 in AutoReversal section. We will use Switch Dr/Cr in our document so let me check if there will be a need to update the document then I will update in the next version of the document.

Oracle Documentation:
(Optional) In the Reverse region, enter a reverse Date, Method, and Period. You can then generate a reversing journal entry to that effective period and date. You can also reverse a journal entry without assigning a reversal period. Reverse Method can be either:
Switch Dr/Cr: General Ledger creates your reversing journal by switching the debit and credit amounts of the original journal entry. This method is often used when reversing accruals.
Change Sign: General Ledger creates your reversing journal by changing the sign of your original journal amounts from positive to negative. This reversal method is often used when reversing journals to correct data entry mistakes.

Please let us know if there is any confusion in the document so we can update it accordingly.

Thanks for your valuable inputs keep it up.