Installation in Record Time?

In this forum Oracle Applications DBA's, System Administrators & Developers can share their knowledge/issues.
rehmans

Installation in Record Time?

Post by rehmans »

Yesterday I did installation of Oracle Apps 11.5.9 on my home PC.
I ran the Rapid wizard at 10:00 PM.

I went to bed at exactly 12:00 AM. I had a good night sleep and saw a dream that installation would be successful [:)].

When I woke up I rushed to the screen without worrying for breakfast. It was Step 5 of 5 and almost 100%. But when I looked at the clock, it was 9:30 AM and after almost half an hr (10:00 AM) my dream came true. It means it took almost 12 hrs to complete.

Can anybody please explain me what might be the reason that it took so long on my PC the configuration of which I am stating as under:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional 2007
RAM: 1GB (Kingston Original)
Hard Disk: 160 GB (with two partitions of 140 GB and 20 GB respectively)
On 20GB partition Windows XP resides.(Primary)
On 140 GB parition Apps was being installed (Extended)
Motherboard: Intel D845-GBVW.
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHZ

Regards

Zia ur Rehman
admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
First of all let us know that the installation was vision or prod and secondly the RAM is not good enough. I don't know about XP but on linux it takes not more than 4 hours single node installation with 2GB RAM.

But this is good that your dream came true so you are lucky just think if there was an error at 99% .

Thanks
rehmans

Post by rehmans »

Brother it was Vision Installation and if the installation would stuck at 99%, though I am not so aged, but I should have suffered a heart attack then [:)].

Anyways Thanks God it is over and I will purchase 1GB more RAM tomorrow on your suggestion.

There are other issues I am going through:

Conc. Mgr. and other mandatory services are started when the system starts but after some time they are automatically stopped.

And when I start them manually the following message is displayed:

"The service could not be started on Local System Error:1067"

To me it appears that these are network services and I have installed Apps on XP Professional. In order for these services to work I must connect my PC to the local network or Internet which I haven't checked yet.

I should have done this installation on Windows 2000 Advance Server by creating a Domain.

Am I right brother?

Regards

Zia
admin

Post by admin »

Not only RAM but also OS. Sorry I am not against Microsoft but there are more issues on Windows as compare to Linux.

topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2714
rehmans

Post by rehmans »

You are absolutely right brother. Definitely if pillars will be strong then building will last long. And OS acts like a pillar to Apps.

Thanks a lot.

Zia