Help needed with these questions

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
benny

Help needed with these questions

Post by benny »

Q.What is the business purpose of VALUE SETS?

Q.Why does oracle assets post its accounting journal directly into General Ledger's production tables,bypassing the interface table? and the same with oracle purchasing encumbrance journals?

Q.What's the link between cost center segment and oracle assets i.e when cost center segment is given the flexfield qualifier, cost center?

Any help is appreciated,
anu_uma

Post by anu_uma »

Hi Benny,

Q.What is the business purpose of VALUE SETS?
<font color="blue">
A value set is primarily a ?container? for your values, you define
your value set such that it can control the types of values that are
allowed into the value set (whether predefined or non?validated). You
specify the format of your values using the valueset.........</font id="blue">

Q.What's the link between cost center segment and oracle assets i.e
when cost center segment is given the flexfield qualifier, cost center?

<font color="blue">A flexfield qualifier identifies a particular segment of a key flexfield.you can set up your key flexfields in any way you prefer, Oracle Applications products use flexfield qualifiers to identify certain segments used for specific purpose....

<b>The Cost Center qualifier is designated for reporting purposes..... </font id="blue"> </b>
anu_uma

Post by anu_uma »

For your Question 2 Reg, the Asset Creating the Journal Entries directly to GL

<b>Oracle Assets is designed in such a way that --> the Create Journals process inserts rows directly into GL_JE_BATCHES, GL_JE_HEADERS and GL_JE_LINES tables as unposted batches. You will need to review and post the batches to update the account balances</b>

Thanks
benny

Post by benny »

Hi Anu,

Thankyou for the reply,I'am pleased with the answers. But regarding the third Question about the link between the COST CENTER segment and Fixed ASSETS I'm still not clear. You have given me the definition and the purpose of the COST CENTER. Can you give me the Link between them both. Your help is appreciated.

Regards,
Benny
anuragagarwal1980

Post by anuragagarwal1980 »

Hi Uma,

With refernce to your question on assets, prior to 11.5.10 the assets used to pass all the JE directly inot gl but since 11.5.10 there is an option to first pass it to GL interface tables and then to GL base tables.

Regards
ANurag
benny

Post by benny »

Hi,

This is an answer I got for my third question i.e link between COST CENTER SEGMENT AND FIXED ASSETS. I hope it helps other members.

ANSWER:
The Cost Centre is used by Fixed Assets for the Depreciation charge and when you enter/choose a Cost Centre, Fixed Assets uses the Value Set for the Cost Centre.
k.khan

Post by k.khan »

Yes you got the right answer and I think the purpose of using the cost centre value set is take by default attributes of that set as well the allocation of the cost of depricaiation restricts only to that segment which is selected as cost center which is again very vital for reporting purposes.