PROFILE OPTIONS

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
C-MOON

PROFILE OPTIONS

Post by C-MOON »

I will be grateful if someone would help me out to get some data / document or resource what kind of profile options we have in system and how we apply these profile options and i have read some stuff on it but they come some time in a way that one is unable to understand what and why they are here and what other we can have , i will be grateful if some one expalin me even or sending me some source in my e mail mohsinsaeeds@gmail.com
anusha_rao

Post by anusha_rao »

hi
i am giving an example.to open your accounting periods,you need to assign gl set of books profile option in the sysad module.
if you are a student kindly go through the user guide/ocp 11 book it wil give you a good idea about all the modules.
regards
rao
senior apps consultant
C-MOON

Post by C-MOON »

thanks RAO for ur time i am no doubt a student although an end user as well since few years back, sir i have been going through user guides as well but confused ok i shape here some questions,
1. are profile options are for the security reasons only i man used by system admin to secure or to privilige some access to any functionality to any user?

2. They are at user level, organ level , site level , and so on what are they in total and any document to see their full usage?

3. i want a debate here on these options as well so all are invited to share their part of knowledge.

thanks
mohsin
anusha_rao

Post by anusha_rao »

hi
you remember this "saru"
ie site level
application level
responsibility level
user level
without required options you cant proceed
regards
rao
C-MOON

Post by C-MOON »

anyone else pls to share knowledge on this topic
ahmadbilal

Post by ahmadbilal »

P_MANMOHAN

Post by P_MANMOHAN »

Dear Friend,
Profile options are just like blood in the human body. Without these profiles ur not able to perform any thing.

When u build ur own multiorg structure, u need to attachsome profile options like HR:Business Unit, HR:User, HR:Security Profile; GL:Set of books to ur responsibilities. without attaching these profile it is not possible to move further in ur implementation.

Last but not the least PROFILE OPTIONS ARE MANDATORY THINGS.

RGDS,
MANMOHAN REDDY.P
manmohan.reddy29@gmail.com
C-MOON

Post by C-MOON »

Thanks for your time
To get further knowledge on this important topic i want to ask following more questions;

1. What happened in system when we run a profile option?
2. What is their nature are they allowing us to have full or restricted access to some apps responsibility? or function?
3. do we need to memorize these options separately for each module? or anyone has detail on it module wise?
thanks for your time
mohsin
ush

Post by ush »

lets see if i can answer ur query's...
lets start with basics, this is going to be a lengthy explanantion, plz bare wit me :-)
to apply any profile option, u have to navigate through systadmin-->profiles---> system.

then you have different options to select from like site, resp, user etc...thenu have profile which displays lov of different profile options.

now if you mention a specific responsibility name in "responsiblity", and give option as "gl set of books name" and then click on find, a new form apears where u are allowed to enter the name of set of books under "that" responsibility.

Now, it is clearly evident that, every profile option has its own promininace and its own "charecteristics" which upon assigning at a purticular "level" (here level refers to-->site, resp, user...), will be influenced.

lets take example of another profile option: "HR: USER TYPE".

when you folow the above procedure and click on find, you are allowed to define "user type" under you resp level.
u can find three types of user types when u click on the lov, i.e hr and payroll, only hr, and only payroll.
if you select only payroll, the user who is using the specific resp, under which u have deifned this profile option,will be only able to view or modify payrolls. he/she cannot use/view/modify any hr information.

if you assign this profile option at site level (infact any profile option), the impact will be on all other levels like application, resp and user.
if you asign this profile option at responsiblity level, then the impact will be on that resp and any user who is using that resp, its server and org so on.
if assigned to a user, then the impact will be only on server level and org level.

hierarchy: site--> application--> resp-->user-->server-->org
its the downward flow (impact cannot crawl upwards)

with this we can understand that, profile options are used to define the functionality, charecteristics of a site, application, user, resp etc.

not every profile option is mandatory.

profile options are for security purpose "also" (depends on profile option)

the usage of profile option depends on the "clients" requirements.

i hope this helps you..thnx buddy i culd revise what i hav learned today.[:)]

regards

harsha
C-MOON

Post by C-MOON »

Dear Harsha,

i am personally thankful to you you find so much time to satisfy my query even i have not read the full answer yet but i realized first to thank you then to read the reply God bless you

C MOON