Data Migrations

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
luckykiriti

Data Migrations

Post by luckykiriti »

Hi Gurus,

Can anyone please help me with following questions:

1. Usually wht clients informations we have to migrate from legacy system to Oracle GL, AP, AR?
2.How can we map existing legacy information to fields in GL? How accounting segments are mapped while migrating?

3.Wht information we have to collect from client?
4How can we check and ensure that the amts are uploaded correctly?

5. What will be the major issues that we come across while uploading jounral/budgets using ADI.
6.How can we upload Deferred revenue invoices (AR) into Oracle?
7.Whether we upload summary level data or detail data into Oracle?
8. Why do we get rejections while uploading data? some examples plz
9. Where can we check the rejections?
10.How can we validated the data before uplaoding?

Thansks in Advance.

Kiriti Vutukuri[:)]
Murthyoracle

Post by Murthyoracle »

Hi Kirti,

I will give u answer as per my knowledge point wise.

1) Usually what clients informations we have to migrate from legacy system to Oracle GL, AP, AR?

Ans) a) First of all u should know from Client what is Legacy information , how they are maintaning their information i.e Manual accounts, any accouting Package or any ERP like Oracle previous versions or Other ERP like SAP, Baan , People Soft etc.

b) Next from which period ( Back period) previous data client requires to migrate from Legacy to present version. i.e Cut off date.

c) During migration of Legacy to Present Verision in GL, Basing on client requirement, all the Journal will be converted i.e includes AR, AP subledgers transactions will be loaded in GL through Conversitions.

d) In APthe Suppliers and site, Bank, Invoices and Payments informations will be loaded in AP.

e) In AR , Cutomer and Locations, Bank, Transactions, Receipts and Remittances will be loaded.

Here is one main issue is already the subledger (AR,AP) data will already loaded in GL and the same information We will load AP, AR data for transactions purpose . The Trail Balance of AP, AR should be same . Otherwise conversion failed.

But here First we have loaded the data in GL and then we will loaded Sub Ledger information in respective modules and next those will be transferred to GL for reconciliation purpose ( Normal Procedure). But the problem GL Balance will be shown double as already Subledger information was already loaded. To avoid this , the transferred data from Subledgers should be reversed. Then GL Trail Balance will be matched with AP and AR and Reconcialition will be success.

In Conversion Func consultant will development CV040 and Tech Consultant CV060.

2.How can we map existing legacy information to fields in GL? How accounting segments are mapped while migrating?

Ans) YOur COA should be matched . And ensure that the client legacy inforamtion in which segment should be stored in Present verision. As there might be changes while mapping the segments.

3)Wht information we have to collect from client?
Ans) COA Mapping, from Whcih date Legacy inforamtion should be migrated, In APthe Suppliers and site, Bank, Invoices and Payments here we should take care PO matching also and In AR , Cutomer and Locations, Bank, Transactions, Receipts and Remittances.

4How can we check and ensure that the amts are uploaded correctly?

Ans) Here everything will be compared with Legacy information only. The legacy information column wise will be mapped to Oracle table columns . SO Automatically the data will (i.e payment amount or Invoice etc.) transferred from Legacy to Present verison. In fact it has to be also. If any thing not converted means so problem is there. We have compare the present conversion data with Legacy only and here we should not change any information in Legacy. We have to change the information in Present version with the approval of business.

5. What will be the major issues that we come across while uploading jounral/budgets using ADI.

Ans). In Gl while converting Journals , the main issues are Cross Validation rules and Security Rules. Suspense Should be enabled as if Cross Validation Rules is applied for any journal it will not be converted , the same will be stored in Suspense Journals. Later on Suspense will be cleared during Reconciliation procedure. ADI i dont have idea.

6.How can we upload Deferred revenue invoices (AR) into Oracle?

Ans) I dont have idea. If u or other member knows later on please give mail .

7.Whether we upload summary level data or detail data into Oracle?

Ans) It will be based on Client Requirement. And Veracity of Data if huge means better take Summary otherwise detail data by using other tools like DATA Ware Housing or Data Control. This is different functions. Better u should have back end data of Legacy .

8. Why do we get rejections while uploading data? some examples plz
Ans) For eg. the functionality of legacy version and Present version will be different. In AP Distribution, matching of PO etc and tax codes etc.

9. Where can we check the rejections?
Ans) Tech Consultant will find through interaces tables. Because in legacy there are 20 lines in Present Version Interfaces 20 Lines and Oracle Base Tables 20Lines should be come . Otherwise , conversion failed.

10.How can we validated the data before uplaoding?
Ans) Basing on Cut off date we should take approval of Client that the inforamtion which has to be converted in Legacy is correct. If client agree means Legacy correct . So We can start the conversions.

This is with my knowledge please correct me if any wrong.

This will help u.

Regards
Murthyoracle
luckykiriti

Post by luckykiriti »

Hi Murthy,

Thanks a lot for your valuable answers. This really helps.

Thanks,
Kiriti V