TRIAL BALANCE BEGINNING BALANCES

This forum is to discuss different features/issues of Oracle Financials modules ( GL - General Ledger, AP - Accounts Payable, AR - Accounts Receivable, FA - Fixed Assets & CM - Cash Management ).
zhondi

TRIAL BALANCE BEGINNING BALANCES

Post by zhondi »

Hello Gurus,

I have a problem with GL Trial Balance beginning balances in R11i.

The Procedure was like this:

1. Open Jul06-06 period in GL and Subledgers
2. Subledger opening balances transactions entered using one date = 01 JUL 2006
3. Subledger transactions transfered to GL and periods closed both in GL and Subledgers
4. Period reopened both GL and Subledgers and transactions entered from date range 02-JUL-2006 to 31-JUL-2006
5. Step 3 repeated
6. Trial Balance run beginning balances not coming.

Our aim was to have transactions entered on 01-JUL-2006 to appear as Beginning balances for
GL, and those from 02-JUL-2006 to be the period activity.

Please Guide on procedure followed and if there is a way we can do from back end to have all
transactions for 01-JUL-2006 to be the beginning balances and those
transactions from 02-JUL-2006 to 31-JUL-06 to be the period activity.

Please help....

Zhondi.
vvrsankar

Post by vvrsankar »

<b>Please note bigining balance of a period is the closing balance </b> of the previous period. Here for you 1-july , 2nd to 31st july are not two periods to show 1st july balance as opening balance for 2nd july. If, in your calander each day is a period then you can see.

Ravi Sankar
zhondi

Post by zhondi »

Thanks Ravi,

If i reverse the 1-july transactions and post them in a period before it i.e. Open06-06 and leave the 2nd to 31st posted in July Period, will this change the beginning balances?
mpotdar

Post by mpotdar »

Hi,

Your understanding is correct.

In order to see your Opening Bal Txns in Subledger as Begining Balance in Jul'06, you have to convert them in Jul'06 - 1 Period.

Pls note that if you just reverse existing journal in GL period Jul'06 and create another manual Journal in Open06-06, you will have correct GL Beg Balance for Jul'06.

But you will have out of balance situation in Subledger & GL.
Since all your Subledger transactions are dated 01-JUL-2006, which is in Jul'06 periold.

Cheers
Mrunal
zhondi

Post by zhondi »

Hi mrunal,

Thanks for your clarification.

I think thats the only way i have now. Can you explain why there is going to be out of balance from GL and Subledger.

My assumption was that if i reverse the JUL06-06 journals from subledgers and post them in Open period i.e. Open06 i will have the advantage of that Supplier and Customer opening balances in Payables and Receivables will remain intact.

Im i correct?

Correct me if im wrong gurus.

Regards,

Zhondi.